German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - my shepherd mix boy has grown an enormous wart-looking thing on his lip in just the last 10 days or so. May have been there longer but you can't see it when his mouth is closed so we just noticed it the other day.

It looks either like a very big (white) pea or a small chickpea stuck to his lip. (Round, maybe 7-8mm across and high.)

Does not seem to be causing him any discomfort; in squeezing it's pretty firm with a few tiny cracks only visible when you squeeze it. Again, if that bothers him he doesn't protest any.

We have a vet appointment for him on Wednesday, but any thoughts? I can take & post a pic if that would be helpful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If its what I think it is from your description, it might be a canine viral papilloma. Google has some images, so check them out to see if it matches. My girl had one last year in the fall, and the vet said she likely caught it from drinking from a shared water dish at the dog park. I was told that unfortunately, you just have to wait until they heal themselves, and it can take weeks. They don't hurt the dog, but mine had hers on the bottom lip right where her canine hit, so she bled a little bit. Otherwise, she didn't even notice them, and after a while they disappeared. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Yes, it does sound like a papilloma - very common. They are harmless, and will go away on it's own.

Have it checked out by your vet anyways just to make sure it is not something else.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
If its a Papiloma, they are harmless, but contagious. So I would not let her play with other dogs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, all.

Based on that I did additional reading and you might be correct. I assume if he's had this for going on 2+ weeks then my girl also probably caught it already given that they share a water dish.

See, I knew going to dog parks was a bad idea. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts