German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I am not familiar with that but Perfect form by Honest kitchen is really good for firming up stools and healing the digestive tract. I would also supplement with vitamin C(human grade 500 mg to start, then up to 1000mg daily for a pup) to support the immune system.
I would sprinkle the digestive enzymes/probiotics on this to help get pup back on track. The only natural you posted has good ingredients, it won't hurt at all to supplement w/ that.
I hope your pup gets healed asap!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will give that a try. I do have my adults on vit c but I was afraid to start her on it. She underweight. She was only 7.5 lbs (8wks) when she got off the plane last weekend. At 9 wks she is 11 lbs (Gilda was 13.5 at 8 wk so that's how I know she is small). At any rate do you think it's ok to go ahead and start her on 500mg vit c. It can be hard on the stomach and she's having such an issue I've been hesitant???

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
27,294 Posts

Thanks I will give that a try. I do have my adults on vit c but I was afraid to start her on it. She underweight. She was only 7.5 lbs (8wks) when she got off the plane last weekend. At 9 wks she is 11 lbs (Gilda was 13.5 at 8 wk so that's how I know she is small). At any rate do you think it's ok to go ahead and start her on 500mg vit c. It can be hard on the stomach and she's having such an issue I've been hesitant???
At that size, I would wait on the C for now, but start when she is about 20#

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw an old post in the puppy forum that you had made to someone with the same issue in which you mentioned the puppy might be too youg for probiotics. At 9 wks do you think she can have the product you recommended?

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
if the pup is having chronic diarrhea, then give it a try. It has slippery elm in it, which is good for healing the digestive tract. Give it during the meal that you aren't dosing with the meds.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I saw an old post in the puppy forum that you had made to someone with the same issue in which you mentioned the puppy might be too youg for probiotics. At 9 wks do you think she can have the product you recommended?
Please let me know how your 9 week old puppy is doing and whether a probiotic regimen is helping.You posted in my thread as well where I was asking about some info and advice about a 8 week old puppy with coccidia that I brought home from the breeder today. Thus far I havent noticed any loose/soft stools..but I am trying to read up and see what all I can do to help his digestive system.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ordered it today so will let you know. I am having no luck. She is eating hamburger/rice with pumpkin in it and I have a anti diarrhea gel/paste from the vet (plus she is on albon for coccidia). There might be a tiny bit of improvement as it went from pure liquid to now watery pudding. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow. I've had her for 10 days and would think she would be improving. She acts fine, it's just her stool. She is my 7th gsd (over many years) and the first that I've had this issue with.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
If you are using cooked hamburger make sure you really rinse it good, some of the fat can be a contributing factor on her tummy. Just a thought...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts