German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning group! I'll try to keep this as short as possible!

Our Xena was born 12/25/17 and we took her home in late April. We started taking her to puppy daycare about a month later. When she was about 6 months old we brought her home from puppy daycare and a couple days later she had a really runny nose and excessively watery eyes. Subsequently she also had really runny, explosive and gassy poop. She was also losing weight. We took her to the vet and a probiotic was prescribed but no change during its use. We went back and she was tested for EPI. Enzymes came back OK but B12 levels were off. She was on B12 once a week for 8 weeks and now shots monthly. When it didn't get better we went back to the vet where Metronidazole was prescribed. Voila! Poops became normal-ish, formed but still soft. When the metronidazole ran out it went back to being runny, gassy Xena. We moved therefore we had to change vets. Our new vet put her back on Metronidazole and things went back to somewhat normal-ish. We decided to change her food and went with Purina Pro Plan large breed puppy. That coupled with the antibiotic things were much better. However, leaving her on the antibiotic has long term has side effects. They suggested we keep her on that food and add Tylan powder instead of the antibiotic. Well, I had a large falling out with the new vet over the cost of the Tylan. The vet price being $109 per 100g jar. Online its $56. I asked for the prescription information so I could order online and they flat refused to confirm the prescription with the company I ordered from. So, off to a new vet we went. We went through everything with the new vet and she suggested we put her on a hydrolized protein food with the antibiotic again. That was until I went to pick up the new food. Unfortunately we can't afford $250 / month in food for the one dog. We transitioned her over to Purina Pro Plan Skin and Stomach with the antibiotic and again, things went back to somewhat normal. The new vet also gave us a 3 day powder for worms. The Metranidazole has run out and we are back to runny poops. Over the 3 vets we have run a few tests for Giardia and Coccidia and supposedly those are negative, but those were the in-house tests.

Our first vet suggested we run a GI profile test but I am not sure what / if that will reveal what the issue is? Secondly, she also has not had her first heat cycle which I assumed she would have had by now since she is almost 1 year old. (yes, we do plan on getting her fixed but vet suggested we wait until we figure out the GI issue which is why we haven't done it yet.)

We are not sure what to do from here. We think we will put her on the Tylan powder and transition her to a different food. She is really scratchy as of late and we think it's food related.
This whole time she has acted like a normal pup. Never once not eating, lethargic or having any other symptoms.

What say the owner / experts in this group?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
If you're talking about the IDEXX PCR Diarrhea panel, that GI profile is a DNA test looking for evidence of lots of hard-to-spot intestinal pathogens. It's a lot of bang for the buck because it tests for so many things! It is much more sensititive than the in-house test for giardia -- and it adds a bunch of other organisms to the test. I would do it instead of a giardia ELISA test because it covers that PLUS so many other things into the mix for not a lot of extra cost. It tests for 18 things:
https://www.idexx.com/en/veterinary/reference-laboratories/idexx-realpcr-tests/

The fact that your dog responded to Metro suggests there's some kind of infection going on. I would do the test. Metro is an antibiotic, so the problem going away for a while when she's put on that a big clue:
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6426/metronidazole-oral/details

We had a couple of puppies in rescue that were constantly cycling on and off diarrhea, despite multiple deworming and meds. That test revealed that they had FOUR different kinds of infection going on that required totally different meds. They'd have never been sorted out had we not run it as some of the things they had were so weird.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good afternoon Magwart,

Thanks for your reply! I do not know the name of the test, it was only referred to as a GI profile test. I will be talking to the vet tomorrow and will mention IDEXX. For right now I think we are going to just continue without any medications and let her body take a break. She has been on the Metro now for 4 months and I am sure it isn't easy on her system. She is super leggy / tall and in at about 60 pounds which is about 5-7 pounds smaller than the other females in the litter. Do you think it's odd for her not to have had her first cycle yet?

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts