German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My young working lines boy is now just over 17 months old. He seems fit and healthy and is being fed a premium kibble (similar to Orijen). He's always been a skinny boy but we are now having real problems getting any weight on him at all, he should weigh approx 77lbs but only weighs 72lbs and you can see almost every rib (he's not just lean but is skinny).

He gets moderate exercise but is always on the go in the house, he's fed over the recommended amount of food (split across 2 meals) and has also been getting some satin balls more recently. There are no poop issues (regular, normal consistency etc) and I am now at a loss as to what to do. Just upping the intake doesn't seem to be doing the trick but there are no signs of anything more serious like EPI etc.

I am planning on taking him back to the vet and asking for a more extensive checkup including bloods if needed but it would be good to take some ideas as to what it could be. I've been looking at EPI, B12 deficiency, Giardia etc but they all seem to say that there would have been poop issues or lethargy etc which there are none.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

·
Registered
244 Posts
My 23 Mo female is really skinny too. She is fed in excess of the feeding guidelines and is getting plenty of fat and proteins. She is just skinny and small for her age. The vet is happy with her weight and she has gained a couple of pounds since we brought her home. Getting her to eat at first was a little bit of a puzzle, but once we figured out the key we have no problem at all getting her to eat her entire ration twice a day. We feed her 2 cups for breakfast and 2 more cups for her dinner. We are using Blue Buffalo food and she gobbles it right up with no delays. She is very active and we play with her multiple times through out the day and she plays fetch like a fiend so exercise is easy. Just be patient and let nature run it's course for a while and see if she doesn't gain a bit over time is what the vet told us. HTH.

Wheelchair Bob

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Sorry, no. But he is only 17 months old and is still growing. He could fill out. Some young gsds through the "string bean" stage. Since it is summer, he has probably lost his undercoat and that makes a gsd look thinner. Since he is healthy and active. I would wait and see how he develops. For the amount of food, if you feel he is not eating enough - you could try 3 meals a day.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am used to the typical GSD boy string bean stage but he is ultra skinny (and very tall!) and has always been hard to get weight on. As you say its probably just a phase but I hate to see him look this skinny and I would hate to have missed something if there is an underlying cause which is why I am trying to see what might be going on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts