German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again I was told no dogs allowed when they seen champ. I arrived at my 10 year old daughters softball game with champ and was immediately told no dogs allowed. There was two chihuahuas a pit bull and a couple of mixed lab types. According to my wife who was there before me nobody else was told that. On a different occasion at the high school for my oldest daughters game I was told the same thing even though people bring dogs all the time. Even the principal brings his yellow lab. Champ ignores all people and dogs and does nothing but sit there with me. When I took champ to the vet for a checkup there was a couple who would not bring their dog in once they seen champ, they waited outside . What is with the racism towards our breed? A guy made a comment today that the pit bull didn't scare him but my dog did. I don't get it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
First off, is Champ behaving well - no pulling, barking and under complete control? A lot of GSD are, unfortunately, very poorly behaved which makes it hard for the ones with the good dogs who have to be above and beyond better than other dogs due to the perception.

I would call or visit the principal at a different time and ask him about this since he takes his own dog. Consider taking the dog places a priveledge and not a right though. Overwhelm him with you calm rational behavior.

The downside may well be that ALL dogs are banned. Or maybe push that only dogs with a CGC or under a certain age are allowed.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
If there were other dogs present, did you point that out? Where they asked to leave as well?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
When I go to the park and they are playing baseball, mine gets excited and wants to go watch. I have never brought her close enough because I don't know anyone that is playing, but if I did and someone told me that and other dogs were there, I would NOT leave. If its a public park, let them call the police, you are allowed to be there, especially with a well behaved dog that is leashed. Boy this got me mad:mad:

·
Registered
345 Posts
That fact is. GSDs have a reputation. All good owners can do is raise a well behaved dog.
And expect some people to be afraid our your perfectly trained dog.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm a dog lover, and I will admit that there was a time when I was actually a wee bit nervous when it came to German Shepherds and Belgian Malinois (sp?). I have always associated them with police and military work, and had media images of them as attack/protection dogs. I'd be more leery of a shepherd than a pit bull (maybe because there's been so much work to change the pit's reputation and not so much for the shepherd).

BUT then I actually met a GSD. My sister in law has one named Rex. She worked for and retired from Corrections at Rikers in NY. Her dog was trained (and I guess retired, he's kinda old) in some sort of protection work, and I tell you he was the sweetest fellow ever. By the end of our visit, I was calling him Rexy-Poo and was in love.

My point is that I am sorry you are facing discrimination with your dog. I (luckily) haven't had to deal with any of that yet, I guess cause mine is still so young. I second what someone else said, maybe speak with the principal about the discrimination, maybe even meet with him with your dog and show him how well behaved he is.

(sorry for rambling, I'm feeling chatty this morning, lol)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
first of all I would have said, "I`m sorry, i didnt see the sign" and "I see there are other dogs here", then I would have went and sat down somewhere, I dont go for that discrimination crap, ban one, then ban them all

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If there were other dogs there, and you have a well behaved dog, then I would have said something about other dogs being there. I don't care if it is a Chihuahua there.....it is a dog. I remember taking my other dog to baseball games....he loved it. He would go find all the balls that got fouled out into the woods!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
first of all I would have said, "I`m sorry, i didnt see the sign" and "I see there are other dogs here", then I would have went and sat down somewhere, I dont go for that discrimination crap, ban one, then ban them all
Took the words right out of my mouth.

I stopped going to games because every little kid would come running over to hug Kira. I found it very annoying.

Thank goodness Kira was fine, but ya never know. It takes one kid to accidentally poke Kira the wrong way, or startle just enough to get a reaction.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
GSDs have an unforutnate reputation and people either love them or don't. Public education will help, but for every one, well bred and stable GSD, there's probably ten that are the terrors of their neighborhood and instead of the owners being punished for the individual infraction, they ban or discriminate against the entire breed as a whole.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Television stereotypes don't help either.

It doesn't surprise me that people believe everything they see on TV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First off, is Champ behaving well - no pulling, barking and under complete control? A lot of GSD are, unfortunately, very poorly behaved which makes it hard for the ones with the good dogs who have to be above and beyond better than other dogs due to the perception.

I would call or visit the principal at a different time and ask him about this since he takes his own dog. Consider taking the dog places a priveledge and not a right though. Overwhelm him with you calm rational behavior.

The downside may well be that ALL dogs are banned. Or maybe push that only dogs with a CGC or under a certain age are allowed.
Champ is very well behaved. In public he doesn't bark,growl, pull,or anything unacceptable. I have taken him to the dog park maybe three times and found it pointless because he simply doesn't care about other dogs or people.

As I was leaving yesterday the chi owner told me thanks a lot, that she has brought her dogs there for many many years and it was the first time she has been told no dogs allowed. They eventually told everyone with dogs that.

I understand the images on tv can make people scared. But judging my dog like the ones on tv is the same as watching a criminal on cops and saying every person of that race is a criminal. It's not right!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Wow, that really sucks with a well behaved dog & other dogs are present. I'm not sure what I would do honestly. I sometimes surprise myself.

I have had people cross paths or turn around when I have been walking my boy. One mom grabbed her kid & crossed the street & almost tripped. I couldn't help but laugh a little, it was so drastic & sudden. lol The truth is my boy was walking very nicely, no pulling, barking. He was walking with his head up & paying attention straight ahead. Perhaps his posture scared them? And some people just don't like large dogs.

Walking at a leashed park there was an elderly couple leaving the path as we were entering. The poor man went way off the trail & was obviously terrified. His wife said he was scared of GSD. I told her thank you for letting me know & told her I would loop around another path, told them to have a nice day. The man thanked me & yelled he was sorry. It was no biggie for me to go another way.

As GSD owners the best thing we can do is show the public (where dogs are allowed) well behaved GSD, goodwill ambassadors of the breed:)

·
Registered
156 Posts
@champsdad you're definitely not alone! I have a large, solid black female who look very scary and is quite the opposite. I took her to an obedience trial and had people refuse to ride an elevator with me, walk down a hall, etc. funny though one guy who pulled that had his dog prepping for a match (dancing, border collie) and Sadie and I were sitting quietly waiting our turn. His dog was playfully biting his shoes as he danced around all while growling and barking. Now Sadie is a good dog, but she sometimes feels the needs to teach other dogs how to "be dogs" essentially. I was watching her and making sure she didn't do anything all the while this man watching, knowing it was making Sadie and I very uncomfortable. He then chose to throw a treat under my chair. Sadie didn't move but I could tell that if I let her she would've taken that treat from the fur ball, probably a chunk of his nose and possibly the owners for being irresponsible. It was later in the day when Sadie and were going down the hall and he stepped to the farthest side and flattened himself as to avoid my vicious animal...I almost let her go again this time to watch her jump on him and lick him to death.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have a large black dog like yours but she's sweet, friendly and well-behaved. People forget that within the breed, dogs are individuals and don't always conform to the breed standard. People who have no experience with GSDs don't know what to expect.

Not every one likes them but life is too short to waste catering to the views of ignorant and hateful people.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts