German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there folks,
First a little background.
I just had the great fortune to rescue a pure bred GSD from a local rescue, and she is my first GSD. She is two years old, and a voluntary surrender from her first family sure to eating two turtles. So far after the first few days I have realized get demeanor is nice and calm, relaxed, playful, and we'll socialized. She shows some understanding of personal boundries when told, very basic knowledge of sit, come, stay, and heel.
I am a man with a combat military background and am interested in training my girl in protection.
I have been doing research online but am finding it difficult to find good resources for this type of training. I plan on reinforcing the good basic behaviors prior to entering any other training.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to start, any advice, or any training facilities in the greater Fresno, CA area?

Thank you very much to all who respond in advance.

Semper Fi,
Josh

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Give her a short time to adjust then get her into obedience classes to see how she does. Obedience is a big part of all the other training they do in any sport.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been working on basic obedience each day for about 1 1/2 hours total throughout the day before or after work.
I do plan on at least a 6 week obedience course in the near future.
Do you have any reading that you would suggest I get for the time being?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts