German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

we've decided on a black lab mix! Her name is Josie. Here she is: http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13009111

Rex and Josie met the first time yesterday and they got along great! They started playing immediately, no aggression, etc. We're very excited and I hope everything works out with the two...

A couple of questions though: We have a wire and a plastic crate for Rex. We use both for him, one for when we're out of the house (living room), and on he uses as a "bed" (we leave it open during the night in our bedroom and sometimes he sleeps in it for an hour or two...)
So, my husband said we don't need to buy a new crate- we can just use Rex' plastic one he only uses for sleeping a couple of hours during the night. Do you think it's a good idea? Should I rather buy a new wire crate for the living room for Josie- and leave Rex' crates alone. I don't wanna "take away" his things and give it to the new dog. He might not like it?!

Besides that, when do you think I can leave them free in the house without supervision?

Any tips and ideas on how to get them used to each other? Rex is very uncomplicated and accepts pretty much every dog in the house- no issues so far!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I would get Josie her own crate. Even if Rex only uses his a couple hours a night I'm sure he still sees it as "his" place and I think it is important that they each have their own safe place. When I had rescues, I had an emergency rescue one time and had to "borrow" Ava's one night until I could get another the next day, Ava was quite upset. She couldnt understand why someone was sleeping in HER bed!

I think the length of time before they can be left out together depends on the dogs themselves, just watch them interact, I wouldnt attempt it for at least a month if it were me. There will be a settling in period, and probably a period to establish pack ranking, you dont want them alone together if there is a squabble over a toy that gets heated. Then just try short time periods, 15 minutes....30 minutes....and gradually extend the length of time.

Oh! And Congrats!!! she's a doll!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Nice looking puppy!! Yes, I would suggest that you purchase a new crate. What is Rex's should stay Rex's. Good luck!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

So, would you also buy new toys for Josie and make clear who's toys are Rex' and Josie's ? Or would you not leave toys out in general. That way they don't fight over a toy... Maybe only give them toys when they're in the crate?

What games can you play with both dogs so one doesn't get jealous? I read that it's not good to play fetch the first couple of days- no high activity games?! Any thought on that?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
It would probably be best to put up toys and just take down a select two to see how it goes and make sure Josie has some in her crate that are hers. You dont want to create a resource guarding issue that isnt there by over reacting, but you also dont want to be unprepared if something develops. sometimes if you step in and take toys away from one and give it to another dog (even if you gave it to the dog and you think it belongs to them), cant remember who pointed this out earlier, but that can mess with their own pack structure. So just dont have too many resources out, and see how it goes. They may just be fine. I wouldnt worry if one comes and takes anothers toy as long as the other dog gives it up willingly, or even there is light hearted battle or tug over it just have something else availble for the dog to play with.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I did want to add, when we had rescues, sometimes I would look over and one or other had a "collection" of toys around them. It was just play, please come take something so we can play tug with it.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Josie is a cutie! I would get her new things of her own to start - chances are they will share in the long run.

Are you having the dogs meet on neutral territory before going home? Rex may respond a little differently on his own territory so you may want to do that to ensure a smooth transition.

I would not leave them together unsupervised for the first few months to make sure there are no issues and if issues arise, that there is someone to deal with it ASAP. Also Josie may need some time to learn appropriate behaviours in your home.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just talked to the foster mom and she said Josie already has her own crate and she'll bring it! Perfect!!

I bought her a new dog bed for the bedroom and I'm gonna put it where Rex usually doesn't sleep.

Besides that I bought her two new toys and a crate mat so she has it cozy in her crate...

We didn't plan on meeting on a neutral territory- the foster mom is planning on coming to my house with Josie. They did meet on a neutral ground yesterday. And usually Rex tolerates new dogs in "his" home. I hope all goes well!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just had to think of something else.

I wanna buy a ID tag for Josie tomorrow. So I thought about taking her to petco with me. To start bonding with her and getting to know her better... Without Rex of course (it would be to much taking two dogs that don't know each other to petco)- Rex would want to play the whole time.
Anyways, do you think it's a good idea to take Josie alone? I KNOW Rex would NOT like it at all! He would be so jealous if I leave the house with another dog... Does he just have to get used to it or should I not do it tomorrow?

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
yes you can take the dog alone, actually that is a good idea. My dogs often do seperate things because Travis gets to work with me sometimes. Paige is resided to it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, first day almost over... Rex and Josie get along good so far. At the beginning she was intimidated cause he is VERY hyper and wants to play, play, play! He's overly excited all the time and she didn't like to play for too long. So she was running away and Rex would chase her and grab her neck (he does that typical GSD neck "biting" play), and of course she doesn't like it. But she really didn't let him know either... she's kinda shy I guess.

Do I have to interfere and give her a break? Or do dogs usually figure it out on their own? When she's in her kennel, like right now, she will not let Rex come near her- and he understands I think. But as soon as she gets up to see me, or drink water, etc. Rex would start chasing her again and wants to play.
Should I just wait and see what happens over the next few weeks or tell him to leave her alone already?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
if you think it's to annoying for her, I'd step in. I'm not saying don't allow them to play, I think it's good for both of them, but since Josie just came there, she may want some time to just hang out and not be bothered constantly;)))

My Masi is a 'play machine",,she is constantly playing with my female aussie, most times the aussie is happy to oblige, but there are times when she's had enough,,she'll either let Masi have it, (who then is smart enough to back off!) or , she'll just stand there while Masi gnaws on her neck...I step in, and give Jynx(aussie) a break, and redirect with playing with masi myself..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just bought a wire kennel for her and she already lays in there when she needs a break! And she definitely lets Rex know that she does NOT want him in/near her crate. That's good- and he actually respects her space! So it's already working out great the first day. It can only get better, I hope

I just read somewhere to not interfere when dogs are playing and especially the first couple of days/weeks it's important that they figure out on their own who's the more dominant dog...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks
She's very sweet...

Another question, how do I know who's the more dominant dog? Both dogs are submissive at times. He never growls, he just barks at her when he wants to play. But Josie growls at him- especially when she's had enough or when he's close to her kennel. Is growling a bad sign or is it just a "normal" ~leave me alone~?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I agree with not interfering, however, I do interfere when I know one has had enough and the other is being a butthead:)))

I wouldn't worry about who's more of this or that at this point.

Her growling is telling him, I've had enough or your in my space get out of it:))),,,No it's NOT a bad sign,,it's dog talk and it sounds like Rex is "getting it" and leaving her alone when she does this,,so that is a "good" thing..:)))

I do not correct for growling, it's better to have a warning (as in growl) vs a downright escalation into a fight/bite...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts