German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready for Mia's first show. She will be about four days short of eight months at the show in November. I was planning on just showing her in conformation, but she is soooo bored with the whole conformation thing that I started on obedience and she LOVES IT! She has progressed sooo fast. I decided last night after working her that I am going to enter her in Rally Novice and Novice A. I am amazed that she is actually better off leash than on leash. I was a little worried about pushing a young puppy too hard, but she is always upbeat and ready to go when I put her collar on. I have been up half the night trying to decide on this issue and I think if I feel she is ready then I should go forward. I have never shown a puppy this young in obedience and I guess I'm just not used to a dog that is this ready to work. Her full brother is a great obedience and had three obedience titles at just over 16 months. If she does well we could have two obedience titles on one weekend. Opinions? Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Have fun!

My dogs are also better off leash, especially Balto. Balto tends to get distracted and with the leash on he seems to rely on me more for position. Without the leash he pays more attention to where I am.

I wouldn't worry that he's too young. I'm thinking about getting my 9 month old going in Rally because he's such a fast learner. And you can stay in Novice as long as you want, (almost).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts