German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving for a 6 day trip in the middle of July and have a pet sitter that I'll be using. I've already met her several times and she pet sits for 2 people I know (one with a GSD). We are planning on her coming by for an hour several times over the next couple of weeks to really get her acquainted and used to the dogs. But now that I have to get her used to caring for my two pups, I feel like I'm fogetting a million things to tell her and I'm worried that even with the introductory visits, the dogs won't instantly be comfortable with her when we aren't there! :help:

My dogs are very well socialized and have always been very welcoming (if not a little too welcoming! :p ) to people coming to our house...but that's always been when we've been there to welcome that person in. Our family and close friends can walk in our house and be covered in kisses, but I'm unsure how they'll react to someone they don't know super well just walking in. Our younger dog is crated when we are gone, but Lily is allowed to roam. She is usually the most friendly towards people and the pup feeds off her reaction quite a bit so I'm hoping that if I can get her comfortable, the pup will follow her lead. I'm thinking of maybe having her come to the house before we leave for the airport so she's already there when we leave, but I don't know if the craziness of getting out the door for a trip will just amp them up.

Also, for exercise, my husband and I diagree on what to tell her. I feel that while she may be used to big dogs, I don't necessarily want to take that risk that something out of the ordinary would happen if she took them out for a walk. In general my dogs are very well behaved on walks, but the wrong reaction from other dogs can certainly set them off. I want to ask that she just take the dogs out in our fenced in yard for playtime with the toys and hose. My husband thinks that it won't be enough exercise and they'll go stir crazy. I don't disagree with him since with us the dogs are out everyday for a several mile walk or swimming and our female goes jogging with me. But I just worry about IF something happened, would she be able to handle it?

I'd love some advice on how to get the dogs used to the sitter. We've hired her to come live at our house while we are gone so I don't doubt that by the end of our trip, the dogs will adore her...just need some tips on getting that relationship set up correctly.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I like that she will be staying there:)) I petsit, don't 'stay' at people's homes (Can't have my own animals),,it's so much easier and more peace of mind with someone staying IN the house..

How about having her come to the house before your trip when your not there? Maybe you could act like your leaving, sit in your car in the driveway or something, and have her come over and go in the house , this way you'll know how they'll most likely react without you around, but not on your trip yet;)

As for walking them,,I certainly see your husbands point, but I'm with YOU..There was just an incident here in CT, a petsitter was walking two dogs (not hers) and one of them "jumped" a passing a labradoodle (who was on leash minding it's own business),,the other dog got in on it, the petsitter lost control of them, BIG dog fight, with the labradoodle getting the brunt of it..now they are talking court etc..

Soooo if me, for my peace of mind, and since she is staying there,,I'd do the yard play only...they can handle it for 6 days..

Good luck and have a great trip:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Diane!

I like the idea of her coming in on her own while I'm close by. Hadn't thought of that! She'll be coming by every Thursday until we leave so possibly the third visit I'll have her let herself in. I will likely send her with a garage remote since the dogs are use to us and family entering through that door.

And yes, I'm THRILLED that she's agreed to move in! The dogs will get so much attention while we aren't home and soemone around all the time like we are and the kitties will have someone to cuddle with at night. Hope she doesn't mind 4 sleeping bodies around her at night! :eek:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I have a speadsheet on my pc, I go over it several times, print it out and still manage to write little notes on it. I have my sister-in law come over 3x's a day when we go away, it isn't so bad with the older dogs, but I know the pup is going to be a pain. We're going on a short trip 3 nights in a few weeks. When my friend was going to help her once, I had her come to the house when I wasn't home, she said they were fine. My dogs are not as welcoming as yours, but they do know her, so they allowed her to come in my house. I thought it was better for her to use the back door. My dogs are NEVER allowed to walk out the front door, I take them out thru the back door into the fenced yard. This way if they tried to push thru her they would be in the backyard inside the fence. There is someone I was concidering trying as a in house pet sitter as a back up, Im so leary of strangers. I do not want anyone taking my dogs off property when I am not home. They can have a vacation as far as Im concerned, it won't kill them.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I think having her come to the house so she will be there already when you leave is a great idea. I know Bianca is only welcoming to people after they have been greeted and *invited* into the house by a family member, I'm not sure what she would do if someone she knew came in when no one was home.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's my concern a bit too. My dogs are very welcoming when we invite someone in...but I don't know how they'll react to someone just walking in when we aren't there because it has just never happened before!

Our first meeting with her at the house will be this Thursday though so fingers crossed that they adore her. I'll just have her come armed with food and a tennis ball and she'll have two best friends in no time! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
That's my concern a bit too. My dogs are very welcoming when we invite someone in...but I don't know how they'll react to someone just walking in when we aren't there because it has just never happened before!
Exactly. My suspicion though is that Bianca would probably bark and not want to allow them in... My last dog who was a Golden Retriever loved people, but the few times when someone who she knew came in the house without knocking first, she stood in the foyer doorway and barked at them as if she didn't know them. As soon as I said hi to the person she was all friendly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts