German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duke is getting out of his indoor kennel its an XL wire kennel w. 2 sliding latches this is where he typically stays in if we go out to dinner, shopping, etc otherwise he has free run of the house when were home. He used to sleep in the kennel too but has recently been given the entire room to sleep in. So now we put him in there last week and before we left the house I heard noises, i said I bet he's getting out of his kennel HOW ?? no clue~ he's just smart I guess because he's unlatching it - door wide open and laying in the middle of the room all happy. So I guess we've just hit a time in his life where when he leave now he can have free of that room ? I'd give him the whole house but not quite sure being we have a cat and he's ok with her & wonder if he'd go ballistic when we leave and tear down the blinds, tv, etc. I don't know what else to do short of putting a lock on the kennel. Sneaky little thing isn't he ? Though he's not little but not huge he's about 81 pds & 2 1/2 yrs old.

·
Registered
572 Posts
we used the latches (sorry, I can't think of the exact name) that would be identical to the metal part on a lead/leash, that is used to attach it to the collar. Sorry, brain fart, I think, but it worked really well when Siena would do the same thing. I don't like locks because they have to have keys and in an emergency, that could cause a problem but anyone can get these off. We would put the retractable part on the outside so she couldn't get it off.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Yes, I have to use bolt clips on wire kennels with some of the dogs . They are like raccoons and once they figured it out they got fast at it! They are on the wire crates and on the latches to the outdoor pens too.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Nissa had some pretty severe separation anxiety issues and managed to get out of her crate twice. I got luggage locks, like a dozen of them, and put them all up and down the sides of the crate then took black electrical tape and wrapped the top where it meets the sides in 3-4 places, tight so she couldn't chew it off.

I don't know what your setup is, but perhaps a padlock would work?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts