German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a shepherd puppy and someone told me to look into getting him schutzhund training? Could someone tell me about their experience with this training? Is it worth it? Hes not registered so I have no background on his blood lines. according to yhe breeder the father is a king shepherd? He weighs 150lbs. The mom and dad are both clearly full bred. I was told its like a sport they train the pups.for? Could.her compete since he's not registered?

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Schutzhund is a sport, designed originally to test breed worthiness of German Shepherds. Today it is a sport that many breeds compete in.

Cut to basics, it involves 3 phases. Obedience, tracking and protection. Before being allowed to compete for a title, dogs must pass an intensive temperament test called a BH.

There is no way to know if your dog will be able to compete. Not all dogs have the drive, desire to work, personality and temperament to compete. It is less likely a dog will be able to compete if their parents and grandparents or relatives have not proven the ability to perform in the sport. So without your boys pedigree and information on his parentage, it's tough to tell.

That said. Every dig is an individual. And some dogs, with loads of top competitive dogs in their pedigree, don't have what it takes. And some dogs with zero background in their pedigree compete just fine.

Even if you never title your dog, it is a fun way to train and bond and spend time with your new pup. So yes, it's worth it. But SchH people can be notoriously tough on dogs and their owner. So you gotta have a thick skin.

I would research the sport a bit, find a local club and go and observe numerous training a and decide if its something you want to try. If not, there are lots of fun things to do with your new pup. Obedience, herding, rally, agility, nose works.

Good luck with your puppy!!!! They are sooo much fun. And very very tiring!!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 2 of 2 Posts