German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK let me see if I have this correct.

Start your dog on RMB (of your choice poultry being the easiest) then once the stool is normalized you can add slowly MM and OM. After your dog becomes accustomed to that mix of RMB MM and OM then you can start switching in diffrent meats so to mix it up and keep the dog's digestion from getting used to any one thing.

Now as the whole percentage thing goes with 45-50 RMB 50MM and 5 OM that can be taken as Per Meal, Per Day, or even Per Week (depending on how perfect you wanna be) as long as you keep it in variety seeing as its an over time balance.

So you could start the morning with the RMB so they have a good while for it to digest and then the MM and OM at night for their "quick" meal.

Active 2yr old dog should be roughly 3% +\- .5% depending on individual dog, and the puppy should be 6-7%.

Now using common sense, I am guessing that the pup should be getting things such as chicken wings and smaller bones so they are easier for him to chew up to begin with.

If i have anything wrong let me know. Soon as this 30lb bag of Canidae is gone I am about 90% sure i will be starting a RAW diet for my dogs.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I would not just feed raw meaty bones(rmb) to introduce the diet.
There should have musclemeat in there as well.You may get some constipation if there is too much bone.
A chicken leg 1/4 is ideal for the ratio, now & then it also has a bit of kidney attached~the reason many people suggest this to start. Then add in the organ meat.
Your percentages are right, but it doesn't have to be precise. The amount to feed should be adjusted according to growth spurts/activity level, up it if needed or reduce if pup feels plump. I always just fed my pup about 2# a day split between 3 meals until he was about 4 months, then I went to two meals though the same daily amount. Teething takes place at that time, so the pup may not be eating as well with the bones. You may have to adjust again to the chicken necks as they are easier to chew.
As far as introducing, for an 8 week old pup I offered chicken necks, thighs, legs...wings are full of skin and not much meat on them, unless you can get some nice ones.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
OK let me see if I have this correct.

Start your dog on RMB (of your choice poultry being the easiest) then once the stool is normalized you can add slowly MM and OM.
Not quite.

You want to start by using the percentages of each - RMB, MM and OM - not feeding just one type (like just RMBs).

You CAN stick with one protein source at the beginning just to play it safe. Some dogs have no problem with alot of variety all at once - some do. When switching adult dogs I say better safe than cleaning up loose poop every day!

With puppies (either weaning directly to raw or switching at 8-10 weeks of age) I start with a mix of proteins right off the bat. Most puppies don't have existing digestive issues that could impact their body's acceptance of the new foods.

After your dog becomes accustomed to that mix of RMB MM and OM then you can start switching in diffrent meats so to mix it up and keep the dog's digestion from getting used to any one thing.
You want to give variety in order to feed a balanced diet. Giving many different protein sources gives a better range of nutrients.

Now as the whole percentage thing goes with 45-50 RMB 50MM and 5 OM that can be taken as Per Meal, Per Day, or even Per Week (depending on how perfect you wanna be) as long as you keep it in variety seeing as its an over time balance.
Yes. :)

So you could start the morning with the RMB so they have a good while for it to digest and then the MM and OM at night for their "quick" meal.
Yep. Or you could do the opposite. Or even mix the RMBs, MM and OM all together, split it in half and feed that way. There's no 100% right way to feed raw.

Active 2yr old dog should be roughly 3% +\- .5% depending on individual dog,
Correct.

and the puppy should be 6-7%.
6-7% of their 8 week old weight - and ONLY that weight. You also have to keep an eye on them as they grow as they will go through growth spurts when you might need to increase their amounts almost daily.

Now using common sense, I am guessing that the pup should be getting things such as chicken wings and smaller bones so they are easier for him to chew up to begin with.
Depends on the size of the pup. Mauser was handling chicken legs and thighs by 3 months of age where as my Crested puppies switch from all ground RMBs to chicken wing TIPS at about 4-5 MONTHS of age. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I was confusing the leg quarter as just an rmb. Am I right in taking that it counts as both rmb mm and possibly a bit of om depending on kidney being attched.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
yes, IMO it is a balanced meal as it usually will weigh about a pound(for a GSD/smaller breeds too much portionwise), I also will give vitamin and oil supplements as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts