German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this a a dog sport but was wondering if anyone else is into getting the Trick Dog titles? I just found this "sport" recently and have had quite a bit of fun with it. Didn't realize just how many tricks Stella knows. I am pleased to say she got her Novice title today. We already have all the tricks we need for Intermediate and Advanced. But we can only do level at a time. I think it would be interesting to learn every trick listed......

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
I plan on getting into "Tricks" with Kaleb once he has his basic obedience down and ages just a bit. He is now 4 months old so I would expect possibly getting involved maybe between 6-9 months of age. He is my Service Dog Candidate and also Community Demo Dog Prospect so learning tricks makes a great foundation for future tasks and other work besides great fun.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
So basically you train your dog to do tricks, have your SO, best friend, or roommate, be the witness, send in a form with $20, and that's considered a title? No need to prove it to an unbiased, objective, judge? You just send in a piece of paper?

·
Banned
398 Posts
So basically you train your dog to do tricks, have your SO, best friend, or roommate, be the witness, send in a form with $20, and that's considered a title? No need to prove it to an unbiased, objective, judge? You just send in a piece of paper?

Who knows who cares. Sounds like fun. Don't be a the party pooper all the time. Nobody called the gsd police.🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔🚔

Hands up! Tricks are not allowed to get a piece of paper! Only judges can give pieces of paper.. That and my toilet paper dispenser...

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I guess asking for clarification and more information is no longer allowed, instead we will just start posting emojis and memes all over the forum.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Witnesses sign your application form for Novice TD through Expert TD titles, but you must send in a video to earn the Champion trick dog title.

Honestly, I can imagine there may be people who forge the skills/witnesses to get the title. However, it is a fun way to get a title for a relatively small investment, and is also a good stepping stone into the title-ing world for a lay person. (plus, tricks are fun!)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Can we be serious for a moment. What exactly is trick dog? What tricks? Who gives the title? I might be interested.

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I chose to have my dog's trainer "witness" the tricks. And what fun would it be to just cheat your way to a title? I don't see the point in that at all.
Who really cares about a piece of paper.....other than it is an affirmation of something me and my dog accomplished together.
My girl is pretty low drive and dog reactive. We have tried lots of different activities. This is something I can do on my own, (or it can be done in a class). I don't have to worry about other dogs and she isn't stressed out by other dogs either. And it is a lot of fun! My grandkids love it and honestly, most other dog owners think it is pretty amazing too, to go beyond the basic sit, heel, down, etc commands.
It is quite fun to watch just how smart they are when they are figuring things out. Some of the tricks get pretty athletic but since I have neck/back issues we probably won't do too many of those. Well, not the ones that require ME to be very athletic...lol

·
Banned
398 Posts
I chose to have my dog's trainer "witness" the tricks. And what fun would it be to just cheat your way to a title? I don't see the point in that at all.
Who really cares about a piece of paper.....other than it is an affirmation of something me and my dog accomplished together.
My girl is pretty low drive and dog reactive. We have tried lots of different activities. This is something I can do on my own, (or it can be done in a class). I don't have to worry about other dogs and she isn't stressed out by other dogs either. And it is a lot of fun! My grandkids love it and honestly, most other dog owners think it is pretty amazing too, to go beyond the basic sit, heel, down, etc commands.
It is quite fun to watch just how smart they are when they are figuring things out. Some of the tricks get pretty athletic but since I have neck/back issues we probably won't do too many of those. Well, not the ones that require ME to be very athletic...lol

So true. I think it's wonderful. Go for it!

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
You can work through various organizations. One that I am interested in begins with a workshop and then weekly classes. I don't know all the details but I know the person giving the classes then signs off as your dog learns various tricks and then a video is made to send to the organization. It is all a fun activity for owner and dog and in our case like I said before, many of the tricks are very good as a foundation for later tasks for my dog. He will also be doing a lot of PR and demos in our community and some tricks are always a nice touch.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Resurrecting a very old thread, I could not find a newer one.

Anyone else who has tested for or is interested in pursuing AKC Trick Dog titles?

I do not think Josie (she just turned 1 year old) and I are ready for CGC testing so I looked into the Trick Dog titles a few weeks ago.
We have not signed up for classes or formal obedience training but we have been training pretty much everyday since she came home (she loves to work for treats).

Last week I went over the list of tricks for Novice, Intermediate and Advanced and selected which ones we will perform. I was on the fence about really going for it but an hour ago I finally called a local AKC evaluator and scheduled the test. It will be early next month so we have more time to brush up on our skills. I am kind of nervous because it will be a first for Josie and I actually testing for something.

Tips are always welcome!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
For some reason couldn’t edit my post in Tapatalk.

Wanted to ask for Advanced..

What kind of light do you use for the ‘Light (turn on battery operated light’ trick?
I was thinking of getting these..

“circle right, circle left” — does this mean circle around the handler? (did not find details in evaluator guide)

Have a few ideas on “Handlers choice” tricks but don’t know what qualifies as a trick. E.g. we can walk together while she’s between my legs (and turn around), give me hug, find her poop bag, whisper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
good questions. I think circle left and right the dog spins around. I guess watching a few you tube videos would be in order.

Here is more info about getting titled.
Trick Dog Titles - Do More With Your Dog

Thank you for the link car2ner!

Under the Novice trick list it says 'Spin in circle' so I thought the Advanced one would mean Circle around the handler. We will practice both I guess just to make sure.
And yes more videos would be in order.. thank you again :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
As long as the AKC keeps accepting Do More With Your Dog titles, I'm probably going to get DMWYD titles and then transfer the Expert Trick Dog title for the AKC's Performer Trick Dog titles. DMWYD has a much wider variety of tricks, and if your dog can do an Expert level trick, that counts as two tricks toward a Novice title. Plus, you can use the same Expert level trick at all four levels (new performances, of course).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts