German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My moms dog, 11years will not stop getting into chocolate.. He's unwrapped presents, gotten into the stockings and pulled open drawers. If its not chocolate, its trash. He started doing this when we put vida back in her crate (can't be trused quite yet!) He knows he's not supposed to because when we come in he starts shaking and hides under the table. This is my moms dog, and she's very upset with him as it is tiring to come home to a mess everyday and have to replace presents when you have no money to. I'm loxking him outside right now on the balcony because I don't know what else to do with him and I"m not too sure a crate would work for a 100 pound dog.. He would hurt himself trying to find a way out. If you muzzle him, he runs into everything so that's ruled out aswell. Any help would be greatly appreciated before she decides to get rid of the old man.. Thank you

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a 4 month old puppy so right now I have NO presents in sight. I'm waiting until tomorrow (Christmas eve) to get them under the tree. Chocolate is poison to dogs - it can kill them. My friend's dog almost died (had to be rushed to the emergency room and have his stomach pumped because of it). It's lethal due to the cafeine, etc in chocolate. My advice....keep the chocolate far, far away where the dog can't reach. I know it may not be great, but maybe put all the gifts away from his reach as well if he's unwrapping to see if it's chocolate although he should smell and know that it's not chocolate. Anyway, that's my suggestion. Just keep the stuff out of reach especially chocolate or you may find a dead dog

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
First off, is he getting enough exercise? Bored dogs start getting into everything.

Second, why are there presents with food within reach? Put them away!

Third, if you can't keep him out of the trash, put the trash out of reach.

This poor dog sounds like he's being punished when you get home and he has no idea why and that's why he's under the table shaking. You CAN NOT correct a dog for something you didn't catch him doing in the act.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
wow, i wonder what would happen if you kept
the trash and chocolate out of your dogs reach???

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
LOL My lab will sniff out chocolate a mile away and has eaten pounds in his days- 2 years in a row he snagged the easter baskets we swore were well out of reach...we were wrong. Our trash is in a separate room behind a door where they can't get to it and we never leave sweets out, but it has happened:)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can I just remind you all this is not MY dog I don't have a say in what goes on with him I just try to help. I'm obviously not that stupid to where I keep the garbage out, it IS in a separate room with the door shut, and we have never had a problem with the dogs getting in the presents in 11 years so why is he starting now? And yes, he does get exercise. I just found out that whoever was feeding him wasn't giving him his thyroid pills so he's been running around looking for things to eat (according to the vet, this is what happens when a pill or two is missed.)

And doggiedad, wow, it happens. I wonder what would happen if you stopped being so sarcastic because they are put away and the dog will open the dresser drawers to get to them so we've put them somewhere else.

Anyways we decided to start crate training the old man before he consumes so much his liver fails or something.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Kaity...you kinda answered your own question.....change the situation.
Crate the dog when he cannot be supervised, and place the things in question out of his direct contact....not much more can be said.
Bored dog = possible destruction
Bored dog + medical issue = possibly more destructive behaviours.
Chocolate + "trash/indigestible items = DEAD bored dog.
I hope you and your family finds the remedy that is needed....
best wishes,
Robin

·
Registered
16,006 Posts
Kaity -- I saw no outrageous sarcasm so why such a snippy response? My thoughts were along the lines of others -- figure out where to put the stuff so the dog can't get to it or the dog where he cant get to the stuff. As others have said he what knows and what causes him to shake is that the humans get angry when they come home. Maybe it's the missed pills, maybe it is also something to do with another dog in the house taking some of the attention. Why isn't always so important as figuring out how to prevent the harmful behavior (I don't much care if it is a chore to clean up; I worry about the possible harm to the dog.) although in the case of missed pills, that can certainly be important.
I guess adding to your prevention program is finding someone more reliable to watch the dog so his medication is given appropriately

·
Super Moderator
32,399 Posts
Kaity -- I saw no outrageous sarcasm so why such a snippy response? My thoughts were along the lines of others -- figure out where to put the stuff so the dog can't get to it or the dog where he cant get to the stuff.
Pretty much. It's no more complicated than that. If you have no control over where the dog is kept, then make sure that you keep everything he might get into out of reach. Surely you DO have control over that? If you see something out, put it away. Simple and obvious.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Glad to see that you are crating him now! Now your parents and the dog can relax when no one is home and nobody will have to worry about what he's getting into and he won't get yelled at!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts