German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to find information on this, but can't find anything too useful. I saw that another person was having trouble with off-leash commands. And I have similar issues. She listens fairly well on-leash. But is god awful off leash. She runs from me when I call her, and won't listen to me when I tell her to drop it. This has led to eating plastic, ear plugs, bugs, tissues, etc. I need suggestions of what I can do to get her to listen! I've had to keep on-leash in the house. But she's about 8 months old, so she shouldn't have to be. She also still bites and jumps, and when you tell her no or scold her (no other method works) she thinks you're playing, or doesn't listen. Most times I try to scold her, she runs thinking it's a game. I try to walk away, but she waits until I go near her, which she then runs. I can't completely leave her alone, cause she'll get into something. But I've waited 30 minutes before, and she just stood there waiting for me. Anybody else have this problem? And what did you do to fix it? Eva is about 8 months old now, so I understand she's in that "teenage" phase, but she's been like this since i've had her. She only listens to me about 20% of the time. And yes, I don't keep repeating myself, I say my command once.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
How much off leash exercise is this dog getting a day? These dogs really need to run. I never even attempt to train a dog that is bursting at the seems with excess energy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We play fetch for at least 30-45 minutes a day. And although this isn't off-leash, we walk at least an hour and a half a day. And on the weekends, we're outside most of the day. We're letting her roam around the house more, and she's gotten better, until she gets bored and gets into things. But no matter if she's tired, she still won't listen. She just stares at me, like she's never heard these words before. And when we're outside, I practice "here", "heel", and other recalls. She does great in training. But then completely forgets it after.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
On leash walking is exercise for you, not for your dog. How long of a line do you have her on to play fetch? Can she get a full run in? She is getting in to things because she is not being given ample opportunity to exercise or to just be a dog. For training to be most effective, it is best to ensure that her basic needs are being met.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She has a 25 foot lead for me to step on, but I don't tie it. She is able to run far. We have a fairly long backyard, and use a chuck-it for fetch.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Make sure she is exercised before training but not overly tired. She won't be so easily distracted. What are you doing for enrichment in her life?

It is a good idea to start training in one room. Then move to another room to generalize it. Keep changing rooms then move training to the backyard, then the front yard, down the street, maybe take her to a park next. Dogs are not good at generalizing commands, building up to places with increasing distractions goes a long way.

·
Registered
30,885 Posts
Engagement games. If she's not looking at you, you are not rewarding enough. I would take a step back and start over with engagement games to teach her you have value so she wants to interact with you.

I would suggest a good trainer to help you. It sounds like she's pretty unruly.

·
Registered
954 Posts
You say she works "fairly well" on leash. How did you lay her foundation and do you correct her on leash when doesn't immediately obey? If you don't have reliable on leash obedience, she is not ready for off leash.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We always try to keep her busy around the house. And we have been working with a trainer, we’re actually heading to a session now. Today we worked outside a lot and she did really good. I’ve been trying to train around the neighborhood and other places too. She has gotten better since we got her, it’s just getting frustrating. But it seems to be getting better with time. So we’ll have to see. She did do really good today though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts