German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me start by saying my vet is not in the office today. There are other vets at the clinic I could see but I don’t really like any of them. In fact, there is one guy there that I have wonder why he is still practicing - but that’s another story. So, only as a last resort will I go in to the clinic...at least until tomorrow.

As some of you may know, Miikka was recently diagnosed with kennel cough. She was prescribed an antibiotic and hydocodone as a cough suppressant.

She got diarrhea so I was told to stop the antibiotic. Thing is, she has a history of loose stools so who knows if this round of loose stools is caused by the drugs. She’s been eating a bland diet (cooked chicken/rice) and she doesn’t go potty as often now but it is still pudding poo.

At any rate, DH just called. He tells me Miikka was coughing up a storm this morning. I was still sleeping so I didn’t hear it. Sometimes DH exaggerates a little but he sounded very concerned so I believe she probably was coughing more than she has been. Anyway, he thinks she needs to go back on the antibiotics. I did not give her a hydrocodone last night because I think they make her hyper/mean.

So, should I start the antibiotic again and see what happens? I’ve already given her the cough suppressant so I’ll watch and she if she starts bouncing off the walls again and/or beating up my other dog. :rolleyes:

It’s also possible she is starting to go into heat, but now I’m thinking I was wrong about her going in to heat (last night, I started a thread with heat questions). But honestly, I'm not sure if she is or not. :crazy:

There seem to be multiple things going on with her right now, I think. And frankly, it’s getting a little frustrating trying to sort them all out. Some of you guys have been more helpful than the vet for goodness sake.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Is kennel cough a bacteria? If so, why would she take her off the antibiotic? How else would they get rid of it? Will their immune system kick in to beat it?

·
5,627 Posts
Which antibiotic is she on and for how long?

Depending on the severity of kennel cough, it can get better on its own but you need to watch for secondary respiratory problems if not on antibiotics. The cough suppressants do help.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Which antibiotic is she on and for how long?
It's called Clavamox (amoxicillin trihydrate clavulanate potassium = everything on the package) 375mg. The cough supressent is hydrocodone 5mg.

I have a 10 day supply

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is kennel cough a bacteria? If so, why would she take her off the antibiotic? How else would they get rid of it? Will their immune system kick in to beat it?
She took her off of the antibiotic because of the diarrhea. However, Miikka has a history of loose stools so I dont even know for sure that the antibiotic caused the loose stools. They did do another stool test and it was all clear.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I understand that she had diarrhea but if it is a bacteria then I would think she needs to be on one. If it's a virus then the antibiotic wouldn't do any good anyways except to prevent a secondary infection.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand that she had diarrhea but if it is a bacteria then I would think she needs to be on one. If it's a virus then the antibiotic wouldn't do any good anyways except to prevent a secondary infection.
From what I understand, KC is a virus. However, I guess it can turn into pneumonia so the antibiotics are used more as a preventative.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Do you ahve any slippery elm? If you start her on antibiotics again then give her some about an hour before the antibiotic.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you ahve any slippery elm? If you start her on antibiotics again then give her some about an hour before the antibiotic.
No, I dont have any on hand, but I can run and pick some up. Do you really think it works? I guess at this point its worth a try.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
It worked for me when I was taking antibiotics and it helped my cat when his IBD acted up. Just make sure you give it an hour before.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok...I'll run to the health food store and get some right now!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
From what I understand, KC is a virus. However, I guess it can turn into pneumonia so the antibiotics are used more as a preventative.
There are different bugs that can cause Kennel Cough. Bordetella is a bacterial infection, so the antibiotics may have been a treatment also. How long was she on and off the Clavamox? If she's been off the antibiotic for long, it may be best to get some more and do a full course of 10 days instead of just finishing what you have left.

·
5,627 Posts
How long has she been sick? Does she have a fever?

The antibiotics are just a preventative to prevent further respiratory problems (like pneumonia). If she is just coughing but otherwise seems ok, you may be alright without the antibiotics or just finishing the course. I'm not a vet and just speaking from experience from my 3 fosters and Raven having KC.

With the cases, I've dealt with, two turned into more severe infections and one was just 2 weeks of coughing which I handled with cough suppressants and no antibiotics. The other two had high fevers and dehydration and took 2-3 weeks to get better (with antibiotics) but the cough lingered for 1-2 weeks after all the other symptoms subsided.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m back from the store – I did not get slippery elm. :smirk: I actually ended up going to the pet store where I buy dog food, instead of the health food store. This pet shop is owned and operated by 2 guys that know an awful lot about pets, pet food, etc. (I should have thought about going there sooner:hammer:). They only sell high-quality pet food but they also have a section devoted to homeopathic formulas, vitamins, etc. They know Miikka and me very well and I trust their judgment.

I explained to him what has been going on. He gave me a pre-biotic called Enhance, made by Aunt Jeni’s. It was kind of expensive, $27.99 for 120 capsules but at this point I need to do whatever it takes.

He also put her on a different kibble called Pinnacle (duck and potato formula). My DH has NEVER been a fan of the raw diet and yesterday he practically begged me to stop it and put her on just kibble. DH is certain raw meat is causing the loose stool/diarrhea issues. I doubt that’s what’s causing the problems but to make him happy, she’ll go solely on kibble, at least until we get the loose stools under control. In addition to raw, she was also getting TOTW (yellow bag). I was rotating between raw and TOTW. Usually, I’d feed the TOTW when I was out of raw food or if everything was still frozen. She was primarily fed raw, though.

Also, Norm told me the TOTW (yellow bag) can cause loose stools! :eek: I had never heard this before. He said it has a lot of lamb in it and lamb has been known to be a problem for some dogs because it is so rich…or something like that. I can’t remember everything he said. So, gee, maybe it’s as simple as stopping the TOTW (yellow bag). Sorry I keep referring to it as the “yellow bag”. I can’t remember what formula it is....I think prairie but I’m not sure. I just know the bag is yellow.

Another point Norm mentioned was that if her food is currently running right through her, she is not getting all the nutrients she should be, which could possible have an effect on her immune system, which is why she caught the kennel cough. Makes sense to me. So, we’ll see what happens. Please keep your fingers crossed for Miikka! She needs to have good poops!! :fingerscrossed:

I’m feeling good about this...I think in a few days we’ll have nice poops again! :poop:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts