German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all

I got my little guy 9 days ago and for the last couple of days he's almost going in reverse. He was going potty outside on my command everytime and had one single accident the first week. I was so proud!

Now yesterday he got stung by a bee and that's basically when he changed. I take him outside to potty now and he just sits there and pulls back towards the house then starts to squeel. I try to calm him but he will continue until I bring him in and will not go to the bathroom! I walk around with him and he just sniffs around but doesn't go.

I took 2 weeks off of work to potty train and spend time with my puppy, instead it's turning into something I completely regret when my process starts going backwards. Standing in the pissing rain at 4 a.m with a puppy squeeling and pulling on the leash and I'm sitting there like a croc pot about to explode. I repeat, 'Go potty' 'Go potty' like I always have but now he just disregards it and wants to go back inside.

Any idea's on what I should be doing? I treat him and praise him every time he went potty outside, I've caught him in the act and said' 'NO' and brought him outside to finish but he wont. He even held his pee for 8 hours yesterday! Literally would NOT go to the bathroom for me. I have bells on the doors, I always praise him heavily and I play with him as much as I can.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
He might be associating the yard with the bee sting. Try carrying him about a block away and then trying to get him to go potty.

Remember - if YOU are angry he will sense that (the tension in your body can be felt through the leash).

Also remember - he is a BABY and he got hurt and it scared him. He will get over it, in time, but for now you have to relax a little. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was kind of thinking. Good idea, I will try that next time.

Thanks for the response, I know I need to calm down :(.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Yup, I'd do what Laurie suggested and praise like crazy once he finally goes outside again. Get those treats ready :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just attempted again, 30 minutes outside and no potty. I noticed he keeps flicking his ears so i took a good look inside. There all red inside and i can see little pimples or bites.

What the ****? I noticed an ant nest today outside in a spot where he likes to bite at for some reason. So could he have got attacked by ants yesterday morning or something? I noticed yesterday morning his entire was puffy but didn't link it to that.

I can't afford going to the vet, I literally have no money left for little bit so all I can really rely on is this benadryl. He isn't puffy anymore today but I can tell he's still really bothered. He keeps kicking his back legs out like a horse when he goes to pee but doesn't.

I'm convinced now that's why he's not going potty correctly anymore. :( It doesn't matter the spot I take him either it seems.
I'm also certain that it was fire ants in which attacked him. In which it would make total sense why he doesn't want to go outside anymore, What to do, what to do... He hates the grass now.

Going to go get some ant killer and kill every single goddamned nest I find.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
while you may want to spray down your 'ants', keep in mind the puppy might get into THAT stuff as well which could be a bad thing.

I'd watch pumping anything into him (benedryl) unless a vet gives you the dosage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't plan on giving him anymore benadryl because he puked his breakfast up shortly afterwards. Poor guy :(

I took a look into his ears today as he was shaking his head as if they were bugging him, They are really red and I can see little bites and bits of crusty blood in BOTH his ears...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update,

I ended up taking him to the vet and they injected him with some stuff thats supposed to take the itching and swelling down. He's his old self this morning :)

Even rang the bell to go potty, I'm getting so close! :laugh:

No more rolling around in the backyard for my boy, Those fire ants hurt!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts