German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know what happened to shane, he got so agreesive towards me all the sudden. i was made him sit and try to pet him cz he listened to me and he grabbed my arm. good i was wearing a thick jacket. after he started barking at me and didnt let me come near him, not even let me hold on to the leash. he grabbed my arm soo many times and nwo it hurts. im very sure that he wasnt playing with me .

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
If this is a puppy, what you are seeing is NOT aggression.

It may hurt. It may involve puppy teeth. There may be blood. But it's not aggression.

It's a bored bored bored puppy who wants to play play play.

So you need to train and socialize and walk and spend time with him (puppy classes?) to take care of the boredom. Exercise the heck out of him, off leash best.

And, most important, since it's PLAY behavior. The ONLY way a puppy knows how to play. You need to TEACH him a 'new' way to play that doesn't involve teeth.

So many of us have exactly the same GSD puppy you have, we have a sticky with good info, just go take a look at http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/85888-teaching-bite-inhibition.html

·
Super Moderator
32,031 Posts
Ali2020, it would be very helpful with questions like this if you tell us the age of your puppy.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Hm, I'm no expert, but if my dog did that at 6 months old I'd be freaked out. Was he maybe reacting to pain in some way? Could he have hurt himself and when you tried to pet him he got defensive?

·
Registered
801 Posts
I agree with Maggie Lee Rose. This is not aggressiveness. He's being a puppy with some teething issues perhaps. Wolfie and I still rough-house and we play-growl at each other. Some might read that as being aggressive but that's certainly not the case. He's just a really vocal guy and he loves it when I growl back at him. After he's done rough-housing, it's snuggle-time!
Caveat: I don't plan on having kids and I do enjoy the horse play. This is obviously not appropriate for many others. But for me, I can get him to stop when I want to and so I personally don't see a problem with that.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
If this behavoir is very odd, maybe you should have him checked out at the vet.

When you made him sit, did you push down on his hind end, or did you pull up on the collar?

When dogs are in pain, they do not always whine or cry, but sometimes they do show it in aggression. None of us are there and see the puppy, and it is a puppy, but if it is totally out of the blue, I would maybe worry that it could be an internal pain from a disease that sitting caused, or an injury.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Sounds like a playful puppy to me. Some GSD's are VERY mouthy and need to be shown that that is not acceptable behavior. Our male GSD (now 2 1/4 yo) has always been mouthy to an extreme although he doesn't bite down just mouths.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yup....inappropriate play, not aggression.

We have a 10 month old who does this when he doesn't get enough exercise.
The mouthy part of it is normal for a GSD, although not appropriate.
And the barking is out of frustration that he is trying to play and you are not welcoming it.

Get him out and take him for a nice walk. Let him get the zoomies out. Do this for a few days and see if what you are noticing diminishes. If it does, then you know that his level of exercise is not adequate.

It can be tough tiring them out because they have so much energy. Do you have a buddy he can play with safely?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not a issue.. u might be scolding the pup in same manner.... i also have a pup of same age.... he mouths too much... :D all most at every movable object.... make him play with a rope, drag the rope around, it will help. In my case F!DO plays with full excitment... you also give it a shot :D :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
could be he's trying to dominate you? GSD are a strong breed and he needs to know his place. if he bits and release its a possibility he is trying to dominate you. is he also showing you his gums? growling? thats what they do in the wild and that's like a natural instinct they have considering they are pretty much a wold hybrid.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
could be he's trying to dominate you? GSD are a strong breed and he needs to know his place. if he bits and release its a possibility he is trying to dominate you. is he also showing you his gums? growling? thats what they do in the wild and that's like a natural instinct they have considering they are pretty much a wold hybrid.
:hammer:
sorry but no, that is not true at all

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
We have a 10 month old who does this when he doesn't get enough exercise.
The mouthy part of it is normal for a GSD, although not appropriate.
And the barking is out of frustration that he is trying to play and you are not welcoming it.
For a young dog this is PLAY, not a dominant ploy to have a hostile takeover of the family!!!

Play play play! Just not appropriate. So I 100% agree with the quote above and how they dealt with it.

Another really important thing would be to register and attend some good dog classes. That way you could not only see other pups acting exactly the same when they are bored and trying to get their 'silly human' to play, but you will also be given the management tools and training skills to help redirect and work with them.

EXERCISE, real exercise not just walks around the block or letting him loose alone in the yard. Training, not just classes but TRICKS are wonderful for the bonding and learning.

Teaching a trick is the least important part of teaching a trick

That's a GREAT article.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
You have two pups around the same age right?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts