German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think fixing your current male will only be detrimental to his health especially as he ages. IMO, there also is a moral issue if you are doing it only so you might have fewer problems bringing in a younger male. If you are having your doubts now as to your capabilities, or your willingness to sacrifice as would be necessary if you have to crate and rotate, then maybe you should wait until your older male passes.

I have a some Czech yearlings here I imported. I am curious as to what kennel and pedigrees that has you so piqued. Could you PM them to me?

Are you looking for all Czech, or a mix with some Czech and some DDR, or some Czech and some WGWL?
All czech preferably but a mix w Czech and ddr would be ok as well if it meant the dog was domestic.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
All czech preferably but a mix w Czech and ddr would be ok as well if it meant the dog was domestic.
Domestic?

DDR doesn't really exist today and most breeders still heavily using those lines are tending to focus on appearance at the expense of temperament.

Most of what you are going to find out there is a blend of Czech with West German. Don't sell the West German workinglines short.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Looking to get another male as my current almost 2 year old male is intact but not dominant or aggressive. He’s a very chill, non aggressive male GSD. On the smaller side 60ish lbs and never has been dog aggressive or aggressive period.
I’ve seen my dog try to mount 1 or 2 dogs before but it’s never turned into a fight or anything. He seems to hold his own if another male does it to him but it’s also never turned into anything.

I am currently looking at a 11-12 month old male in czech who has basic obedience and bite work done.Per the breeder he’s not dog aggressive and doesn’t assert his dominance on other males.

my questions: will I have an issue at home since my male isn’t dominant and is pretty submissive regardless of the 2nd male?
— should I fix my first male since I’m not working him or breeding him?
Also what’re some things I should do if I decide to proceed to help them meet and ease tensions. The new male is in Europe so I cannot have them meet first.

only reason I’m going with this male is because I really like the pedigree, the breeder and that he had some foundation built in.

Any insight would be great! Thanks!!!

Re read original post and wanted to add a few things..

In my experience 11-12 months is kind of the height of adolescence when adult dogs tend to be least tolerant.

I brought my second male home at 4 or 5 months. My existing male was not tolerant of him at all to begin with, and we did crate/pen/rotate/non touching leashwalks for 2 weeks as they acclimated and then he accepted him and they became friends. It was around 11 months or so that things started getting weird. When the lab became a raging hormone teenager. We went through a few cycles where I would correct the younger dog for flirting, correct the older dog for squaring off with the younger dog...and we would have peace, but it didn't seem to last. I kept trying because I was trying to get the lab as old as possible before neuter. And I remember when his 1 yr rolled around thinking, things are okay, the boys seem cool with each other. And then around 14 months things started going significantly south again.

Another reason I was sort of pushed to get another male is that both the lab breeder and the shepherd breeder I was looking at, females would not have been big enough for my purposes as I was looking for a service dog prospect.

In your case-- it sounds like this is just a convenient dog. You don't NEED this particular dog or a male for that matter. My vote is, why risk it. Wait for a nice girl to come along.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Domestic?

DDR doesn't really exist today and most breeders still heavily using those lines are tending to focus on appearance at the expense of temperament.

Most of what you are going to find out there is a blend of Czech with West German. Don't sell the West German workinglines short.
Domestic as in US based breeder. Sorry

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Re read original post and wanted to add a few things..

In my experience 11-12 months is kind of the height of adolescence when adult dogs tend to be least tolerant.

I brought my second male home at 4 or 5 months. My existing male was not tolerant of him at all to begin with, and we did crate/pen/rotate/non touching leashwalks for 2 weeks as they acclimated and then he accepted him and they became friends. It was around 11 months or so that things started getting weird. When the lab became a raging hormone teenager. We went through a few cycles where I would correct the younger dog for flirting, correct the older dog for squaring off with the younger dog...and we would have peace, but it didn't seem to last. I kept trying because I was trying to get the lab as old as possible before neuter. And I remember when his 1 yr rolled around thinking, things are okay, the boys seem cool with each other. And then around 14 months things started going significantly south again.

Another reason I was sort of pushed to get another male is that both the lab breeder and the shepherd breeder I was looking at, females would not have been big enough for my purposes as I was looking for a service dog prospect.

In your case-- it sounds like this is just a convenient dog. You don't NEED this particular dog or a male for that matter. My vote is, why risk it. Wait for a nice girl to come along.
I don’t need a male you’re right. I was just very interested in this specific one. Liked his appearance, his work ethic and pedigree. Also that he comes from a top notch breeder in europe

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I don’t need a male you’re right. I was just very interested in this specific one. Liked his appearance, his work ethic and pedigree. Also that he comes from a top notch breeder in europe
You said you are in California, I think. Reach out to T17 working dogs and see if they can point you in the right direction. Or Malinda at Weberhaus in Kansas.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I won't bring in another male with my existing male unless I am prepared to completely separate the two. No matter what, my current dogs will always take priority over adding a new one.

My advice is to get a female. And don't rush. Something I've discovered is once you know where to look and what you want, there will always be good dogs/pups available.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
I personally would never risk it if you want them living n your home together. How do you know this breeder or broker(?) is what you think he/she is? Do you know your way in that world of dogs? Did you check references from people who have their dogs? There are many good breeders in the US with nice dogs. Get a female when your male is 4 years old.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Any czech/ddr breeders in US that are solid? I’ve done some research and a lot don’t have much avail now.. just want to see if missed any “musts”

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Did you contact T17? Jeremy would likely know someone near you.

I started a PM today with a few kennel names but it was lost as I was doing six things at once, and appearantly did something wrong.

Schlossfelsen kennels have a really nice DDR/Czech stud. Not sure if they do or have bred him recently, and he's a long coat. But they would know more about who to talk to. Look up the dog it's Carlo vom Llenroc.

Witmer Tyson Imports is in Menlo Park and has some nice dogs, not sure about strictly ddr/Czech but they'd be worth a look.

How far are you willing to travel, or ship?

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Any czech/ddr breeders in US that are solid? I’ve done some research and a lot don’t have much avail now.. just want to see if missed any “musts”
I answered that a few posts back. I would reach out to T17, they do not have a litter but can and will point you in the right direction. Also check out Weberhaus in Kansas. Malinda has a great reputation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
my initial post was regarding a 12 month old male GSD (new). What if I brought home a 12 week old GSD to my non dominant male? Same issues or easier?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
my initial post was regarding a 12 month old male GSD (new). What if I brought home a 12 week old GSD to my non dominant male? Same issues or easier?
A 12 wk old male? I think it might be better but when the puppy reaches adolescence/young adulthood you may have a problem anyway. Even if they seem fine while the one is a puppy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I went through this exact scenario a few months ago; submissive intact 5 year old male and brought home a 12 week old dominant male. So far so good and they excellent buddies (puppy now 6 months and almost his size if not quite weight). Pup will eventually dominate him but in a natural way and I can tell you that I will always be the Alpha and I anticipate no issues.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts