German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week is my brothers birthday and we are getting a GSD. This is going to be our first, we've ha different pets before but never a dog. My dad had a few GSDs back in his hometown. The puppy is going to be 6 weeks when we go get him and then the breeder said we have to return in 2 weeks so she can give him his shots and so he can get wormed. I am so excited and can't wait. I was either thinking of name him Tyson or Hünd (means dog in German) so hopefully everything goes well and I get to bring him home this week.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Congrats on getting your new puppy but I'm a bit concerned at the 6 weeks of age. That's so young that it's illegal to sell puppies that age in many states.

Did you get a chance to read ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/137533-things-look-responsible-breeder.html

Once you find a responsible breeder, keeping in mind all the horrible genetic health conditions and temperment issues that may come along with a poor breeder...
another great site with information is

Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums

:)

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Oops I meant 8 weeks my mistake I was typing to quickly

GREAT NEWS!

But still take the time to read those links. So much great info to prepare us before we get that puppy!

Hope you've got a crate already!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
so why take the dog back to the breeder for shots and worming?

I wouldn't take a pup home without a vet check and certificate no matter where it came from . The vet will comment about general size , weight , skin , coat condition, eyes, respiratory and heart . You need to know what you are committing to. It is easier to walk away , than take the dog home only to find out later there may be some major , expensive , issues to deal with . Once you "have" the dog it is harder to return him.
I know it is common practice , but I wouldn't give my own shots . I want the vet to do it . Then I know that the vaccine is kept properly , not out of date or spoiled by some contaminant .
Most breeders provide a grace period where you can take the pup to "your" vet of choice . Many state within 48 hours. I would ask for this and take advantage of it if the pup is not turned over without a vet health check , and certainly not before 8 weeks of age.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oops I meant 8 weeks my mistake I was typing to quickly

Instead of getting the dog at six weeks, why don't you just wait two extra weeks and get him when he has all his shots. I would also ask if there is a time frame where you can have the pup checked out by a vet with the option of returning him if he has health issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts