German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been a rescuer since 2003 and have fostered many, many GSDs and helped them find new forever homes. Something inside me broke when Cash died. Honestly I think people on this board are some of the only people on earth who can understand how much I love that dog. I've had 3 fosters since then and I'm finding that whatever I had that allowed me to do this well, I just don't have anymore, not to mention that Rocky at 8 1/2 doesn't think it's nearly as fun as he did when he was 4.

I can't stop thinking about puppies. I think about them during the day and dream about them at night. A lot of times I'll dream that I have Cash as a puppy, which of course I never got to see because he came from the shelter. Sometimes I dream that he's playing with a puppy in my yard.

So we've pretty much decided to get a well-bred working-line pup from a reputable breeder, but now I feel guilty. Is this ok? Does the karma I've accumulated through my rescue work give me a pass to buy a puppy? Or am I going to feel guilty every time I look at my new dog?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would not feel guilty, you have helped many dogs and probably will continue to do so even if you get a puppy. :)
Yes, I probably won't foster while the pup is young but will continue to support the rescue financially and with home visits, running applications, etc.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Don't feel guilty....you have and I am sure will continue to do more than most people do in their lifetime. I have rescues and always have purebred animals too. Smile and be happy to give another puppy a home.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I think getting a puppy is a fantastic idea.

Thank you for all of the work you do, thank you for helping all of those dogs, thank you for showing them love while they were with you.

Get your puppy, raise him/her, train him/her, enjoy him/her, love him/her, and when your ready you can always foster again.

:hugs:

·
Super Moderator
32,748 Posts
So we've pretty much decided to get a well-bred working-line pup from a reputable breeder, but now I feel guilty. Is this ok? Does the karma I've accumulated through my rescue work give me a pass to buy a puppy? Or am I going to feel guilty every time I look at my new dog?
I hope that you can find a way to let the guilt go. There's nothing wrong with buying a puppy from a reputable breeder - it's not like you're supporting a BYB or a puppy mill. There is something special about having a dog that you raised from puppyhood, from being involved through all stages of development and training. If that's what you want, you should go for it, and you don't need to apologize to anyone for that.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about your boy Cash-it's obvious how much you loved him.

I think it's normal to feel the way you do about purchasing a puppy from a breeder vs adopting from a rescue or shelter. It's very obvious that you are very passionate about rescuing-not only do "you talk the talk, you walk the walk" by fostering, etc.

So yes it normal to feel guilty BUT absolutley fine to find the line of dog your looking for from a great breeder.

Good luck on your search and puppy fever is powerful!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think you're GREAT. We do foster work, but purchased a puppy. :wub: we wanted to pick from the litter, get our family dog as a pup. We wanted to bond very closely with our pup, not to say that you can't do that with a shelter/rescue dog but for us we WANTED a puppy, and its ok

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree 100%- get a puppy! Nothing will help heal your heart better than a little fuzz ball with puppy breath. The dream of Cash playing with a puppy in the yard seems like a message from him and he will be out there playing with both of you.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I agree 100%- get a puppy! Nothing will help heal your heart better than a little fuzz ball with puppy breath. The dream of Cash playing with a puppy in the yard seems like a message from him and he will be out there playing with both of you.

I think Stosh is right! And everyone else is right too!

I've only had two dogs before Gryff - both adopted from a local shelter. Never would I have thought that I would EVER buy a dog, and thus create a void for more "breeders" (of the Back Yard and Commercial variety) to fill with more puppies.

But it is okay to change. It is okay to have different wants and goals for yourself and for your new dog. And it is okay to just go for what you would like, and going about it responsibly, as you are doing.

The karma is, that all the dogs that you saved and helped find peace, happiness, love? They are giving that peace, happiness, love back to you with the very special pup you dream about.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Puppy ! Puppy ! Puppy ! :D

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yes, I think your karma quotient is good :D

Another alternative you have is to adopt a puppy. I lucked out with Layla -- I "saved" her off of Craigslist as she was heading out to some buyer who had called the owner and didn't ask a question about her. Layla, from 8 - 12 weeks, was living in 1/2 crate about 20 hours a day, soiling her crate and herself, and then clearly getting whacked for it. Dumb people.

BUT ... there are also puppies at rescues.

Whatever you decide, you've done enough good work. :hug:

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I know there are puppies in rescue, I've fostered one myself. BUT, I want a well-bred, working-line pup and the odds of one of those turning up in rescue are slim. Not to mention that rescue pups are neutered at 12-14 weeks and I'd rather wait until a year old or so.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I really think you should get the puppy. You will love him and not abandon him and that is the main thing!

I have had several rescues over the years. Great dogs many of them. Some have gone on to homes and three live here currently.

I also have carefully purchased dogs. I can not imagine life without them either. I love my latest working line male and he appears to carry some affection for me!

Guilt is probably not serving you well in this matter at all!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
My two older ones are from the local shelters and my youngest one was purchased from a breeder. My preference will always be to adopt a dog than to buy one but I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong or unethical about buying a dog - as long as the decision is carefully thought out and the dog is properly cared for and love, like Samba said.

I think in your case a puppy will do you good. Besides, I am sucker for working line GSDs!!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
There is nothing wrong with having rescue dogs and well bred dogs.

I have a co worker, they love the Keeshond breed, they always have 2 dogs at a time, they get their Keeshond puppy from a reputable breeder and then they adopt a puppy or an adult mixed breed dog from a shelter. They've done this for over 30 years!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Consider this; perhaps "Karma" is trying to tell you through your dreams that there is the perfect puppy out there for you...from a breeder just waiting for you to find him/her. Follow your heart.....find him/her, they are waiting......

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think you need to "justify" getting a puppy. If that's what you want then you should do it. Especially from a reputable breeder. You are supporting a responsible breeding program where their dogs aren't the ones ending up in shelters. I think there are a lot of people who foster, but have also purchased a dog for themselves. We understand!! Good luck deciding what's best for you!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I also think everyone is right on here, I have/had rescues, but the majority of my dogs were /are bought from breeders.

Sometimes I to, feel guilty thinking about all those wonderful dogs that "need" a home vs me "wanting" one from a breeder. In the end, I know I've done my part for rescue (as you have MORE than done yours), don't feel guilty, get that puppy of your dreams and everything else will fall into place;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts