German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're getting a GSD puppy this week and our previous GSD was unfortunately very aggressive to other dogs and fearful due to a traumatizing childhood. Now I came into his life roughly 7-8 years in and he had a choke chain because of how boisterous he was when going for walks, so I understand why it was used.

Now I don't want to use a Choke Chain since this new dog is from a seemingly established breeder, a very nice temperament along with being purely German (Which I was told leads to better temperament.) He seems like a very cool pup so I don't see why we'd need it, and I want to encourage my family members to use an alternative, either harness or a leather walking collar perhaps (Because they don't use collars in the house, which I like.)

Can anyone offer advice to what type of leash we should get for the pup and if the Choke Chain would indeed be a bad idea (Or a good idea!)

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Many folks wind up with a prong collar because as the pup gets older and stronger and more independent they really start to pull.

Chokes are still a valid tool and do have a place in training, but most people don't need one and you need to use properly.

Start now with training the pup not to pull, and you may never need more than a flat collar. There are a lot of threads on that, and it requires a LOT of patience but it works.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
a dog can be trained on a flat collar. i think any kind of leash
will work. my dog used a flat collar untill he was 9 months old.
then i switched to a choker. when i switched to the choker my
dog knew how to heel on either side with or without a leash.
i never yank, crank, snap or pop the choker.

We're getting a GSD puppy this week and our previous GSD was unfortunately very aggressive to other dogs and fearful due to a traumatizing childhood. Now I came into his life roughly 7-8 years in and he had a choke chain because of how boisterous he was when going for walks, so I understand why it was used.

Now I don't want to use a Choke Chain since this new dog is from a seemingly established breeder, a very nice temperament along with being purely German (Which I was told leads to better temperament.) He seems like a very cool pup so I don't see why we'd need it, and I want to encourage my family members to use an alternative, either harness or a leather walking collar perhaps (Because they don't use collars in the house, which I like.)

>>>>> Can anyone offer advice to what type of leash we should get for the pup and if the Choke Chain would indeed be a bad idea (Or a good idea!)<<<<< [/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
We have a choke collar, but I rarely use it. I really like the martingale.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

Can anyone offer advice to what type of leash we should get for the pup and if the Choke Chain would indeed be a bad idea (Or a good idea!)
Can you explain the bolded further? What makes him a "cool pup" leading you to believe he wouldn't "need" it? A choke collar is a tool, I would suggest finding an experienced GSD trainer in your area, knowledgeable with whatever tool you decide to use. Also make sure the trainer is a "proven" trainer. They have titled/certified/rehabilitated many dogs, have references, etc....basically "proof" that their methods work :)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I think there are more effective and humane approaches to training a dog than the use of a choke chain, and I cannot fathom a circumstance in which it would be appropriate to use one on a new puppy. So in that sense, yes, I would say they are "outdated."

The Puppy Primer: Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D., Brenda Scidmore: 9781891767135: Amazon.com: Books is a resource that I would recommend if you're looking for tips on how to integrate a new puppy into your home.

As it happens, Team Unruly recently did a very in-depth review/discussion of the book, which is almost as long as just reading the whole book itself, but may give a sense of whether this is likely to be helpful to you. The Team Unruly Review of Puppybooks, Pt. II: The Puppy Primer (Patricia McConnell and Brenda Scidmore) | Team Unruly

·
Registered
283 Posts
I trained Emma using a flat collar with no issues other than as she grew she started pulling. I got her an easy walk leash system. Its the harness that goes around the body and chest and leash clips in front. Pulling issue stopped. When she sees it come out, she gets all excited to go. She also seems to train better in it too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You should not need a choker or a prong collar for a puppy. Down the line, different story. Since you had a GSD before with behavioral issues I would focus less on the type of collar and more on how you are going to live with this pup to start off on the right food and lay the groundwork for responsibly raising a GSD that doesn't have the same "issues" down the road. Good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Has anyone tried the Gentel Leader head collar? I heard some really good reviews for this. I was at Petco and one guy highly recommends this over a prong collar for training my dog for proper walks. He also suggested in getting a leather leash for more control. Are these good ideas?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have not tried the gentle leader. But I do have the Easy Walk Harness. It has made a tremendous difference to our puppy walking on leash. I ordered the medium size, and it took quite a few weeks before it would fit properly on him.

I have heard great things about the Gentle Leader though from my trainer. She said this is what therapy dog organizations(I forget the names now) use for training for their own puppies as they are to be trained as gently as possible to keep them emotionally intelligent towards people.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Has anyone tried the Gentel Leader head collar? I heard some really good reviews for this. I was at Petco and one guy highly recommends this over a prong collar for training my dog for proper walks. He also suggested in getting a leather leash for more control. Are these good ideas?
I would not use a gentle leader/head halter on a GSD. It basically turns the dog's head to the side if you pull on it and there's nothing about it that makes it an effective training device for large, powerful dogs. For a puppy you should not need anything other than a slip lead or a flat collar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts