German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Family is moving and can't take their dog with them. I don't want him to go to a shelter or to a random home. So we are driving to Oregon to get him. Its all in the works it could be a week from now or it could be a month we aren't sure. I just want to prepare myself for him coming to our house.

Lucas is a 6 year old Bernese Mountain Dog. He has spent minimal time around other dogs, and is shy/uncomfortable around new people. He has never shown any signs of aggression and once someone has been in the room for awhile he warms up to them. Last time I was there he did great on walks with me and didn't even pay attention to other dogs or people along the way, but he really gets freaked out when new people come into the house. He will listen and lay down on his bed, and once the person is greeted by my dad everything is okay.

They kind of have me worried. Telling me he is neurotic and they aren't sure how he will be with my puppy (he is a 16 week old GSD mix). My sister did introduce her puppy to Lucas about a year ago. They weren't given the opportunity to really interact because my dad was worried Lucas would lash out at him. I'm confident that they will be fine and have already started to think about how and where to introduce them.

I know I will need to work with him. He needs to be neutered, socialized, and given some training. I need advice on how to deal with people coming into our house, and ways I can socialize him without overwhelming him. We have people over a lot and I don't want him freaking out all the time, and I want him to be okay around other dogs. When we have family dinners here everyone brings their dogs and they all romp and play in the yard. I want to be able to continue the open door for other dogs. Everyone knows their dogs are welcome here as long as they are vaccinated and well behaved, and I want that to continue. If anyone has any advice for us on bringing him home and how to deal with his quirks and kinks please share!

Sorry if this was long i'm a rambler!
Thanks- Em

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
That is wonderful of you to take Lucas and give him a home. If you haven't done so, I suggest you read up on Bernese Mountain Dogs that will help you understand in some way Lucas's actions. For introducing him to your pup, I suggest a neutral place like a park. For the first couple of weeks, I would try to keep it quiet at home with minimal visitors so Lucas can settle in. I would take it slow and easy with him and not force him to interact. It is important that he have his own space - his bed, so he can retreat. For when people come to the door - he just needs to know that it is okay for them to come in, so if you or someone else just greets the person right away and goes up to them - Lucas can see from you actions that they are friends.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts