German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.. I found this lady that is desperately trying to rehome her 9months old GS. The puppy only has the first shots and definitely no guarantee that she is healthy. It breaks my heart to see this puppy girl so neglected that I would like to adopt her but I’m also scared that she might have health issues. She looks beautiful in the pics and video and owner says she is healthy, eating and drinking normal, playing and goofing around. No diarrhea or worms, blood in the poop or heavy breathing.. at least that’s what she says. She might be healthy but it is a big risk and I’m nervous. I’m supposed to meet her later on tonight. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well my thought would be to go into it expecting her to have health issues. That way when/if things crop up you aren’t surprised or blindsided, but most importantly, you aren’t resentful of the previous owner. Unless the dog has been extensively checked over by a vet (possibly including fecal and bloodwork), there’s no way for the current owner to assure you she’s healthy.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
If you are ready to welcome a new member, I would certainly go meet her. Too many people bring home a cute puppy and about this age, give up. Many people have found quality dogs at shelters for this reason. Do you currently have a dog? Male or female? Although I haven't had any issues many multiple female household have aggression issues. Much luck to you.

·
Super Moderator
6,509 Posts
if you like her, arrange a 2nd meeting at the vet and have a thorough physical completed - make your decision when fecal and bloodwork come back.

while you’re there, get an estimate for vaccines as she’ll likely need to redo the complete series.

i personally would not pay an adoption fee for this dog since you’ll be looking at several hundred dollars just to have her cleared medically.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts