German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...here's the scoop. The parentals used to be GSD breeders but now don't have the time/patience to breed & train them. Last bitch died in April. 12 years old!
Mum's good friend and renowned local breeder has a wonderful bitch and is willing to sell us a pup from his last EVER litters just on 'rep' alone. (his wife died and he is throwing in the towel - doesn't want just ANYONE to have viable bitch's and studs)

Anyway, there's 9 beautiful pups in total (6 sable, 2 black sable and 1 black & tan). Two female, seven males. We're fifth choice in selection.
Picture from the WISENLAND Website (2008 litters)http://www.wiesenlandgsds.com/contact.asp

What I need to know is...I am looking for a pup that is highly trainable, is good with kids and other animals (especially cats!), that can go swimming for hours at the lake and will ACTUALLY fetch the sticks that I throw, but not too hyper, as only half the backyard is available to him (the rest is the pool yard, a BIG no no). Does also need to be a good guard dog, as I work late night shifts and early morning shifts. Above all, must have a lovable temperament.

How do I go about choosing a pup that can show all these characteristics?

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Ok, IMHO, some of your criteria is breeding and <u>much up to you</u>.

A dog that is "trainable," " good with kids," "loveable" can be part of the temperament package, but only if you have the time, energy and patience to devote to actually training the pup.

They don't roll out of the litter with good manners and reliable behavior - in fact, can be a handful for the first couple of years. But they're a lot of fun and a rewarding challenge.

They learn to be good with children and other animals with patient exposure and children must be taught how to treat and respect a puppy.

The most wonderful GSD that isn't exercised physically and mentally may appear hyper and be destructive since they need your attention and training much like a child. Let to their own devices -- well, if you have children, you know the answer to that..

I've never had a GSD that wasn't protective and just their presence is enough to warn off most intruders.

As far as 'choosing' your puppy, if the breeder is knowledgeable, let her do the choosing for you. She will have watched the development of the pup and will know what you want.

Good luck with your puppy.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Anne, Dianne (breeder) passed away not to long ago. Tony (DH) is alone now and the love of his life and partner isn't there any more. I am sure he is having a difficult time, so I am sure he is spending as much time as he can with the pups.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Originally Posted By: Wisc.TigerDi was a member on this board. We miss her dearly.

Di was always very careful about selecting good breeding stock. I don't think you will go wrong with a Wiesenland GSD.
I could not agree more!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that.

I wish the OP many years of fun and love with his pup.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I am surprised that Di was so well known on this forum. Yes, she was a wonderful woman and breeder. Tony is still very upset. We saw him on the WK.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know.

I was thinking about what I could name the little fella...does anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
To be honest, with your requirements and the hours you will have available for this pup, I feel you would be better off getting a Golden Retriever and a very good security system and letting this GSD pup go to another home which would give the pup a chance to meet the potential Dianne or her husband had for breeding the litter. She was so rightly proud of the acheivements her dogs obtained that the thought of one of her dogs being used to fetch sticks, allowed only restricted access to the property and being used as a guard dog appalls me.

However, should you be determined to get a GSD, if your parents were respected GSD breeders, surely they and you should know what to look for and what is required to own a GSD yourself. But it speaks volumes that they "now don't have the time/patience to breed & train them", yet you want people on this site to pick and name a pup for you!!

As you have a lot of necessary requirements and expectations for this 8 week old pup, you should realise that if any of these needs eventuate it will be up to you to achieve them with training and socilisation even with excellent quality in the breeding of the pup giving you an advantage. Pups do not normally come cat, kid, "other" proof but even if they did' you would need to reinforce that with continued positive experiences.

Also, expecting a dog to be a guard dog for most of the time then being either a good swimmer or a stick fetcher plus being of perfect temperament with other people, animals, children etc. Hmmm, I don't see even Dianne being able to deliver everything you want.

You are from Australia and so am I, but I know no-one else who has the expectations you have especially as you do not seem to have a lot of time or experience to offer in return.

I know this is a harsh post but you do need a reality check and with Dianne's sad loss, the thought of one of her dogs ending up with such a future has made me very upset.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Di's Tony sent me an email. He is keeping Black Sable bitch for her named Lacey (Di's Gal).

Qyn, has made some valid points. Pups are like a piece of sculpters clay, it is up to you to form that pup to grow up to be the best that it can be. Di's pups were created from sire's and dam's that met her high standards. Good solid nerved pups have the world full of potential, but if not properly raised they are no better than a pup from a lesser quality breeding.

Tony will have no problems placing these pups, so you might want to talk with him a bit more and explain your expectations. Per Tony's email he isn't throwing in the towel on breeding, he just is taking his time and taking things one day at a time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
[I am looking for a pup that is highly trainable, is good with kids and other animals (especially cats!), that can go swimming for hours at the lake and will ACTUALLY fetch the sticks that I throw, but not too hyper, as only half the backyard is available to him (the rest is the pool yard, a BIG no no). Does also need to be a good guard dog, as I work late night shifts and early morning shifts. Above all, must have a lovable temperament.]

From this quote from your post above it sounds like you may be happier with a Labrador Retriever than a GSD. Most of the characteristics (with the exception of watch dog) are characteristics attributable to a retrieving breed and not that of a GSD. Although Labs usually are not considered personal protection dogs, they will at least bark if someone is entering your property. I have a Lab who will gladly swim and retrieve anything that you throw for him all day long. My GSD does not like to swim. No GSD has the ability to swim like a breed that was bred to be in the water all day such as a Labrador, Chesapeake Bay Retriever or a Newfoundland for example. Even with these breeds, you would be better off with dogs bred for field work and not show dogs because the field dogs still work and swim whereas the show dogs in many instances don't have the high drive retrieving instincts of a field bred dog.

You may be happier with a different breed based on your expectations. Pretty much all dogs need to be taught to get along with cats and kids and no puppy no matter how well-bred will be able to accommodate all of your expectations without training. Pups need a lot of training and patience to turn out to be your ideal companion, regardless of the breed that you ultimately choose.

·
Premium Member
11,139 Posts
LOL LOL Mine either!
Fhazer and Csabre will both swim and retrieve until they grow fins and gills I think!!

Lee

·
Super Moderator
32,100 Posts
Egads, swimming and retrieving (preferably at the same time!) are my dogs' favorite activities! Apparently they didn't get the memo either....

·
Registered
580 Posts
Same here!!!!! Oh my, are we sure we have GSDs????? My Shepherds love the water just as much as my Black Lab, and get out a ball to retrieve, and my almost 9 yr old GSD is a puppy again.

I don't think it's right to tell the poster to get a "Retreiver" just because they want to go swimming and play fetch........

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Originally Posted By: Cassidys MomEgads, swimming and retrieving (preferably at the same time!) are my dogs' favorite activities! Apparently they didn't get the memo either....
We didn't get that memo either. Only one of my 6 GSDs didn't love to swim, he had a rational fear of water after falling off the dock one night at high moon tide after a fish kill.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts