German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted luc isn't feeling well. i let him have a bit of kibble last night which he ate fine and kept down, but no interest in food today. he's staying quiet.

my brother just called; teagan had diarrhea in her crate.

so i called the vet and they agree that worms (neb!!!! who is totally fine) could be a likely cause. i'm going to try to bring in a stool sample tonight.

but

does anyone have any suggestions on getting luc to eat? i gave him 10mg famotidine (pepcid) this morning before i left for work.

raw, kibble, and THK all offered to him in small amounts and no interest.

edit: neb was dewormed may 31 w/interceptor i believe.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
try cooking meat to release the flavors and aroma

try baby food

try just plain broth

try sprinkling cheese or sardine oil on food

have a good upbeat attitude while serving the food

if dog continues to refuse food and is normally a good eater, go to the vet

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Is Neb on worm medicine currently? and is the vet keeping him on it till 4 months (Jesse was on preventative worm medicine till 4 months). I would probably get all three of your dogs checked for worms in case Neb brought them home some how.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, he's not, we were going to deworm again with his next set of shots.

Yeah, I'm taking in the stool samples though the assumption is they've all got worms.

thanks natalie - i am already consulting w/the vet, i appreciate those suggestions about making the food yummier.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I just wanted to make myself more clear about Jesse. Jesse never had worms himself but he was on preventative medicine I had to give him every 2 weeks in pill, Shelter started him on it at 6 weeks and it continued to 4 months, My vet said it is a must as all puppies get worms very easy and it is to prevent them...

·
Registered
945 Posts
I cook some ground beef and some white rice and but it down in a bowl. If my dogs has no interest I put in the blender till its liquid,but it in a big suringe( no needle) and force feed them and 9 times out of 10 it works and stays down. I also put some gatorate and give it to them through the suringe. Thats what works for us. Good luck

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks. i had thought of force feeding too, the vets office said not to, but i will speak to the vet when i am there dropping off the samples tonight. i have 35cc syringes i can use no problem.

luc is drinking okay, i was going to give him some sub-q fluids but i don't think he needs them.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
As long as he's getting enough liquids Luc will be fine for a couple days without eating. In fact, you really need to fast him to let whatever is bothering him clear his system. The main thing is to keep him hydrated and figure out what's wrong.

And what kind of worms did Neb have that Luc could have picked up in a week?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as I know, none....they just dewormed his as a precaution.

Neb's the only one who is fine.

I'll keep an eye on him - he is drinking and peeing - I know they can go a few days without eating but I hate to see him feeling like this.

It's probably a terrible thing to say, but Luc is secretly totally my favourite, and it breaks my heart that he's not feeling well. I'm making myself sick w/worry b/c I just want him to be okay.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, good news. luc, who hadn't been getting up whenever my brother came up from downstairs, met me at the door with his tail wagging, and then - not having eaten all day - went over to the kibble (not a full amount, obviously) and ate it all, and then took a few more from me.

then he burped at me, so i gave him another 10mg of famotidine in peanut butter, and teagan some too, since she had that massive diarrhea in her crate this morning (at least she doesn't mind baths, i just gave her one, she wasn't too bad - my brother wiped her and cleaned out the crate....i think i owe him a nice meal and going out for beers).

they both got some chicken broth water, and both peed outside.

so, luc ate a bit last night and then some now. hopefully his appetite stays - i bought some white rice (i only have brown), tuna, and chicken, and will give him and teagan some later.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
take your dog to the Vet, don't waste time trying to figure out what's wrong, take a stool sample with you when go to the Vet. try some chicken and rice in the interim.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maybe it wasn't clear from this this thread, i did post another, but i have been talking to the vet since tuesday and it was the VET who said i didn't need to bring him in based on symptoms.

both dogs are fine today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts