German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this the best place to post, mods please move if necessary.

Planning to get a GSD puppy and Yorkie puppy at the same time. Please advise....

1. Should I stagger the dates of getting them? 2 months apart? 6 months apart? etc..

2. Any recommendations on male/female for each? Generally, thinking of female for Yorkie, male for GSD.

3. Most concern with how they will get along. I don't want fighting ( or one becoming food for the other! )

4. Any advice for how to introduce/socialize them once I have them?

I had a female GSD for 14 yrs that I had to put down earlier this year. Kids want a small dog, I want another GSD. So the compromise is going to be one of each!

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Jeff, I'm so sorry about your GSD of 14 years. That must have been really hard. I can understand why you would want another one. They are awesome :) Did you get the dog as a puppy? If so, then you know how challenging it is and you don't need me to tell you :)

Whats your work schedule like?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Definitely get them apart. They may bond to one another more than to you guys, which could be a problem later. It makes training easier if you only have to work with one pup. I would personally wait at LEAST six months. Preferably longer.

Probably get different genders. Same sex issues may arise, which could be deadly for a Yorkie vs. GSD situation.

If you get a GSD first, do a LOT of socialization with small dogs. If you get the Yorkie first, do a lot of socialization with large dogs to prevent small dog syndrome.

Introductions should be slow and the GSD should be taught to be gentle with all small dogs. I would suggest getting the GSD first so that he can grow up and mature and calm down. Rather than the Yorkie grow up then have to deal with a giant, rambunctious puppy.

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
GSD puppies can be very nippy and can be too much for a small dog. If anything I would get a GSD wait till at least 2 years old, when he is somewhat calmer and you have some obedience on him where you know he will listen to you. THEN get the Yorkie.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I got two gsd puppies just 3 mos apart and I'll never do that again. I would have waited until one was about 2 yrs old. But little dogs mature faster so if I were so inclined, I'd get the little dog first, have the kids help train and socialize it, then get the gsd pup. So sorry you lost your girl- she certainly had a long, happy life thanks to you

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
GSD puppies can be very nippy and can be too much for a small dog. If anything I would get a GSD wait till at least 2 years old, when he is somewhat calmer and you have some obedience on him where you know he will listen to you. THEN get the Yorkie.
I agree.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
its best to get one and wait a MINIMUM of 6 months to a year before getting another one. either way you'll have your hands full. I would suggest the GSD first and waiting at least a year at minimum so he's got some training and has a better idea of how to behave with smaller animals. I personally wouldnt recommend a yorkie for kids though. they're fragile dogs and arent generally good for kids. They're more for adults who have no kids or intention to have kids. There are a lot more smaller breed dogs that are sturdier with less chance of health problems as well. Yorkies tend to have back problems because they're fragile and very good at slipping disks in their back which is pricey to fix and no promises it wouldnt happen again. They are one of the ultimate purse dogs. Poms are generally a little more sturdy and intelligent.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I raised 2 Lab/Rott/Chow/Border Collie puppies at the same time. I would never do it again. It was very hard to train, potty train, socialize and bond with both and give them both seperate time. It will take up your whole day. :crazy:

Not to mention that small dogs can be extremely hard to potty train because of their small bladders, imagine if you have to deal with that plus a GSD puppy.

Also GSD puppies play VERY rough and I would fear that the GSD puppy would be too rough for the Yorkie puppy to handle.

I would get the GSD puppy first and wait until it is about 2 years old and then get the Yorkie puppy. That way the GSD is already full grown and out of it's rough puppy stage. :)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
They don't call GSD pups landsharks for nothin'! Haha. I imagine a Yorkie would be an amusing chew toy for a GSD puppy. I'd definitely get the big boy first.

·
2,967 Posts
Bad idea unless you can keep them separated the majority of the time. We've raised 2 GSD puppies and it was rough. I imagine it would be more difficult with 2 such different breeds. GSD pups play super rough, and a 20lb 8 week old GSD pup is not going to have a clue how to be careful with a 3lb Yorkie pup. I agree that I would get the GSD pup, socialize it with other small dogs, get it trained and then get the Yorkie. Small dogs can have trouble adjusting to large dogs, so for me I'd rather the Yorkie grow up with a big dog.

Check out this article.
Raising 2 pups at one time in a Family Setting

·
Registered
121 Posts
How about getting a older GSD? One that is still a puppy, but is old enough to go ahead and get your Yorkie right off. Something around 1 to 3 years old. Make sure he is good with small dogs. Maybe a rescue GSD.... If that is not something you would do then my suggestion is definitely wait at least 8 months to 2 years depending on the GSD before getting the Yorkie dog.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hmmmm...Im not very experienced but I still felt the need to answer.

I got my boy at 8 weeks old. A couple weeks later, my mom came for a few weeks with her two Chihuahua's. Ughhh....what a nightmare. Timber played waaaay to rough for them and when we'd keep them seperated, he would sit and yap, yap, yap at the door or baby gate that seperated them. Now Timber is 5 months old and we're getting ready to do that again over the holidays.

I also noticed nobody touched on the question you asked about males/females. I know this for a fact.....get opposite sex of either breed. You will have many less battles. If you have two males, they will have dominate issues. And two girls in the house fight for breathing room. Im not saying that would happen, but its a higher possibility. If it were me, I'd be wanting to keep ANY issue down to a minimum.

Plus.....some GSD's have very high prey drive (Like my Timber) and anything smaller than them is considered prey. Timber has always been around our cats, but I cant seem to break him of wanting to hunt them. You would think Timber would consider them part of the pack. Especially since they follow us on our walks (they think they are dogs). He knows I'd like him to "leave it" but the temptation is soooo strong.

Good luck planning and I really hope you listen to the advice of people that have been there, done that.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
If you have two males, they will have dominate issues.
Not necessarily true. While I agree that one of each gender may be optimal, we're boy dog people at our house. Rocky and Cash never had a dominance issue. I've fostered over a dozen male dogs and never had a problem with male vs. male aggression. In my experience, if both dogs are neutered and the humans are strong leaders you really don't have much male vs. male aggression. In fact, the only aggression issue I've ever had was initiated by a female against one of my males. I have no experience with intact males so I can't speak to that.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
We brought home two six month old French bulldogs at the same time. They were littermates. Their owner's house burned down and they had to move into their kennels, so the dogs had to go - so we took them both.
Neither were trained. They were in a small run their entire lives. Not potty trained. Didn't know basic commands. Basically like bringing home 8 week puppies, just in older bodies.

It was so difficult trying to work with them both. They always distracted each other. They always wanted to do what the other was doing. It was difficult to give them one-on-one time. We got them both neutered as soon as we could. After about six months of having them, they started fighting. We couldn't get this to stop. We had to rehome one of them. It was very difficult, but it was for their own safety.

After rehoming Yoda, Aiden turned into a totally different dog. He now gets one-on-one time. He doesn't have to compete with Yoda. He's much easier to train now. He's not distracted by Yoda. They were definitely bonded to one another far more than they were with either of us until the fighting started. Now Aiden is bonded with my mom.

I would space out getting the two dogs. Getting them both at the same time is a bad idea, IMO.

·
2,967 Posts
Not necessarily true. While I agree that one of each gender may be optimal, we're boy dog people at our house. Rocky and Cash never had a dominance issue. I've fostered over a dozen male dogs and never had a problem with male vs. male aggression. In my experience, if both dogs are neutered and the humans are strong leaders you really don't have much male vs. male aggression. In fact, the only aggression issue I've ever had was initiated by a female against one of my males. I have no experience with intact males so I can't speak to that.
I can't speak to neutered males... :) But with my intact males they do have to be watched because on occasion they can and will fight. Not like the girls who will truly try and kill each other, but they will try to get each other to submit and if no one cries Uncle...well. My males will generally listen and can be called out of the situation before it gets too serious. Now my middle were great with each other. The older one let the younger male take his toys, hump him, climb all over him...until one day he didn't.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
It really depends on the dogs. We had two neutered males (just stated above) that were neutered for a while THEN started having dominance issues. They were definitely fighting over dominance. We'd pet one, the other'd attack him. One would be eating, the other would attack. One would have a toy, the other would attack. One would be laying somewhere, the other would attack to lay there. It was only those two. They didn't bother our other three. It was scary, because sometimes our lab (female) would try to jump in the middle.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If you want to put in the work 2 pups can work. But I would recomind something bigger than a yorkie. Maybe a corgie or something a lil more durable. Right now we have 3 Pups. Bella And Rusty are 1 this month Bella Nov 2 and Rusty Nov 14. We got Rusty In Feb and Bella in April. And we found a Pom mix a few months ago he's about 8 months old he lost his puppy teeth jus a couple weeks after we brought him home. It was a lot easier than with jus Bella and Rusty. But there all doing well the older dogs help teach they younger ones the manners of the house. This is not the first time we have 2 three year old dogs that are litter mates. They are not 100% bonded to each other and all the dogs want one on one time and all are ok being by them selfs. But it is a lot of work. Twice the potty breaks twice the accedents, chewed items, shredded tolit paper ect. Our dogs are only left with out me or my DH usually only 4 hrs a day. Very rarley more than that. Again its a lot of work. Also again on the size Bella can be very rough our smallest dog is only 4 pounds she could run him over and hurt him. And she has grabed our 13 to 15lb Pom mix by his mane and tossed him about 3 feet before pouncing on him.:eek: The dummy loved it and went back for more. He loves it when she plays rough with him. A much smaller delicate yorkie could have been hurt very bad. When she gets that way we tell her no and separate them she's learning to be gentle with the lil ones. Tho Chewie keeps pestering her to play a lot rougher than he should. :p he thinks he's a husky and not a lil fuzz ball and he tries to play jus has hard and ruff as a GSD. Bella is also very very gental with Rusty tho. Even laying on her back and gently nibbleing his legs while he chews on her face. Its kinda weird that she knows now what dogs to be extra easy with and which ones she can let loose with a lil bit. Ok sorry I'm rambiling ill hush now. Jus giving my experance on 2 pups at once. :blush:

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i would get the GSD first. before i brought in another
dog my GSD would be well trained and socialized. i would
bring in the Yorkie when my GSD is 2 or older. the reason
i say i would bring in the Yorkie when the GSD is 2 yrs. old
is, my dog was well trained and socialized by the time
he was 2 yrs. old. you'll be better off with one dog
trained and socialized before bringing in another dog.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Oops ment havin Bella and Rusty was easier. Not that it was with 3. Worded it worng. Sorry.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have three puppies under the age of 6 months. And i also have a 12 year old lab.

It is very hard work, I got Hachi first now 6 months old and a month later i got hachi who is 5 months old now, Then 2 weeks ago I got missy a rescue puppy who is 3 months old.

The two GSDs are male and the miniture jack russell is female.

The boys don't fight over here however she can get very rough with them sometimes if they annoy her enough. Roku is very much a land shark but not one of them are to rough with her if anything it is she that is to rough with them even though she isn't even half the size.

It was very easy to potty train missy as only after two week she has it down and she already follows basic commands just as sit, fetch, etc.

So it is not impossible to raise two puppies together, just be prepared to spend alot of time with them

1 - 20 of 23 Posts