German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents got me a Rav4, saying it'd be "excellent for the dog."
Well, it SEEMED good... Until wily Benedict figured out how to belly-climb over the backseat to get to me. It's not that he's far away, either. The car is quite small, but the back is big enough for him to chill. He throws quite a "if-I-can't-touch-you-I'm-too-far-away" fit every time, ignoring any source of entertainment I provide him.
As soon as he reaches the backseat, he calms down, sprawls out, etc...

But I really don't want him to learn that he can claw his way to freedom every time I'm a heartbeat away.

Unfortunately, the back where he's SUPPOSED/I'd like him to be has no hooks or places to attach his leash. I've tried tying it to the headrest, but that's just laughable (at least to Benny, anyway).

1. Anyone know of some sort of attachment/solution I can tie him to so that he can lay down in the back without being about to pole-vault over the seat and careen me off the road?

2. Anyone try those seat harnesses? Are they effective?

·
Registered
15,888 Posts
I use a roady rough rider seat belt. I've used it for years. It helps train the dogs not to leap out of the vehicle when you stop, it keeps them from climbing into the passenger seat (sometimes I rent cars for trips) and is overall helpful. Then it also serves its primary function - making it safer for the dog to ride in the car. BTW I'd suggest you use it in the back seat if you don't have side airbags there.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
How many people ride in the car? I'd go with a crate in the back if people don't routinely ride back there. I attach my crate to the baby seat anchors in the back. I'm guessing all cars have them.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I use seatbelt harnesses as well. I hear great things about Ruffriders. (I have a Champion harness, but their customer service is either spotty or non-existent.). I have side airbags, but I buckle my dogs in the middle of the car by cross-bracing the seatbelts (left seatbelt plugged into right seatbelt opening), so they don't lean on the doors.

Crates are good as well. But Rav4 have a small back section. You'd need to put the seat down, wouldn't you? (If you have a third row, he *could* be seatbelted back there. It'd be tight, but it could work.)

Whatever you do, don't tie your dog up by his collar, though. In an accident (or even if you have to stop short), you can easily break his neck.

·
Registered
15,888 Posts
I'm not sure being banged around in a crate is any safer than being attached by a seat belt in a good harness. Anyway, hope none of us test any of this!

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhereI'm not sure being banged around in a crate is any safer than being attached by a seat belt in a good harness.
Our dogs travel in crates all the time, and they don't get "banged around".

And I know two cases of serious car accidents where being in plastic airline crates saved the dog's lives. They may or may not have been ok using a seatbelt harness. They definitely would have been seriously injurred or dead if loose in the car.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I think if a crate is well fastened to the car frame with solid tie-downs, it's likely ok.

I was in a *major* car accident with my puppy in a seatbelt. He was in the back seat and we were rear-ended by a much larger, taller, heavier vehicle. The passenger compartment was compromised, but he came through just fine. I'm a big fan of seatbelts...side airbags too. But the dog can't be allowed to sit near or lean on the door if you have side cushion airbags. And front airbags are dangerous for dogs in the front seat.

Crates vs. seatbelts, I think ultimately depends on what sort of hit your car takes in an accident. I do prefer seatbelts A LOT. But after our accident (it totalled my car), I also specifically bought a vehicle that gave me seating options for all my dogs.

But the dog can't be loose (and I think a barrier is almost an ineffective as loose, at least from the point of view from your dog being injured). And he can't be tied by his collar.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Even if the crates aren't tied down they can do a good job of protecting the dog in an accident.

I know two different people who were involved in major accidents where the topper on their pick-ups came off and the crates flew out of the truck bed. The crates landed several yards away, and the crates bore the brunt of the impact. The dogs inside were fine.

·
Banned
3,955 Posts
The problem with a crate inside a vehicle and not tied down is what it can do to you or other passengers. I use plastic crates and motorcycle tie down ratchet straps and it held 100% in the wreck I was in. I know I`ve posted this before but after that wreck I`m a believer.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
We fasten the dogs into seat belt harness's, my daughter has a dog booster car seat for her chihuhua. She paid big bucks for it, but when our tire blew last summer and we spun, the chihuhua, Brutus and Bearla all stayed in one place and no one was hurt. 4 days later we were on the highway going grocery shopping at the cottage and a vehicle in front of us was involved in a accident with another vehicle and their Rotweiller was tossed from the car and under the wheels of a rig. A small dog in a plastic crate was also killed. The occupants of the vehicle (human) were unharmed and the vehicle only had minor damage.

i still cant get that picture out of my mind. i still ahve nightmares of it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts