German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
So in my intro I stated we just rescued a 1 yr old female..She is a dream dog.
We have had her since July 9, 2013.
We want to bring in a friend for her. We have in the past always had 2 dogs at a time in our house.
Just discovered a German at a shelter who was picked up in the streets.
She just might be the FRIEND we are looking for. Both are spayed.

My question is, in the GSD world what makes a better fit?
2 females or 1 female 1 male?

The history on the shelter dog is all UNKNOWN.
WE know our rescues history. She was fostered in a home full of dogs and bonded with another a Male GSD.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
From what I have read on here there are members who have females that get along and some members that their females do not get along. I have not had a problem with females not getting along myself so I guess it all depends on the dogs. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
624 Posts
It depends on the personality and temperament of the dogs. One of the people in my neighborhood has a GSD pair: tan and black saddle and white!

So its possible to own a GSD pair.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't bring a second dog into my home so soon after adopting the first. She deserves the chance to be your one and only priority for at least a few months.
Sheilah

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
As tempting as it might be, I'd hold off on adding another so soon. Give yourselves a chance to get use to each other first. When you do add another, male/female pairing are more likely to get along.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't bring a second dog into my home so soon after adopting the first. She deserves the chance to be your one and only priority for at least a few months.
Sheilah
Fully agree. And please get a male as a friend for her. It increases your chances for a successful match dramatically.
A dog that you barely know and introducing her to another female sounds risky. She has not even had the chance to fully disclose who she is and what her quirks may be. She and you deserves that time with each other to fully bond. Take her to a class and into the world to discover her. That is so exciting in itself.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
I agree with the others. You've only had her 9 DAYS! If it were me, I'd wait at least 6 months to a year to really get to know her in ALL different types of situations.

Definitely a Male when the time is right, and maybe a younger dog/pup so she can remain the Queen! ;)
Good luck with your new Fur Baby!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
She won't even fully show her true self for another week or so. I've seen changes up to about 2-3 months after having the dog with fosters. You need time to bond and get to know her and her you. Way way too soon for another dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all.. Hubby wasn't too excited when I showed him the petfinder ad for the other GSD.
We will wait.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts