German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I have a 6 month old German Shepherd named Bear. I adopted him from a friend who had bread their two pure bread GSD's. He is completely healthy as far as I can tell, and has a great personality.

I have noticed that his hind legs fall asleep pretty often when he lays down to go to sleep, he has a hard time walking until his legs wake up. I was just curious if this is something to be worried about? My friend with his GSD's did not know enough to tell me anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
That is NOT normal and I highly doubt the legs are "falling asleep". I'd take him to the vet for x-rays. Hip dysplasia (HD) plagues this breed and if the parents weren't checked for it, this puppy (as well as the rest of the litter AND the parents) could very easily have it. It's a genetic problem (though certain things like jumping and running on hard surfaces at a young age can make it worse) and can be crippling at worst, discomforting at best. I'd get it checked out ASAP because if it IS a joint problem, supplements and care can make a huge difference in the quality of your dogs life.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Also, you'll want to keep an eye on his weight. German Shepherds should be kept lean. You should be able to feel ribs (they're even ok if you see the last 1-2 ribs), see a noticeable tummy tuck from the side and he should have an "hourglass" shape when looked at from above. Extra weight will increase the risk of bone and growth problems and can increase the risk of joint problems such as HD.

·
Registered
31,951 Posts
My girl did that once at that age, but that is because she had fallen into a frozen river, and I fished her out, but did not get her warm quickly enough.

Could be something is pushing on the nerve. Spondylosis? I would be surprised with hip dysplasia because that would be getting up and down all the time, not just after a prolonged time in the same postition, I think.

Anyway, checking him out at the vet sounds like the best plan, with spine x-rays as well as joint x-rays.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
True, didn't think about spine problems! Either way, something to check into. Nothing normal about trouble with getting up and down, especially in a 6 month old puppy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am definitely going to take him in. Something else I notice tonight while he was playing with our other dog. He got pushed back and he kind of spread his hind legs and yiped.

He has always kind of been clumsy, but I'm wondering if this has something to do with it.

He runs and plays just fine, he just periodically yipes with something to do with his backend, and the periodic legs going to sleep.

He sleeps on our kitchen floor usually, and sometimes in the morning he acts like he can't get up because he's slipping on the floor, I'm now assuming it's the same thing.

This has all been over the past 4 months.

Thank you all for your replies.. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
well you lay on a hard floor for a while and i imagine its not real comfy or easy for you to get up. Also think of it this way.... those legs spread any further than they normally should.... its like doing the splits. If you're not used to it, its gonna hurt. I do agree however that he should get to a vet given all the things you've described. Good luck. Anxious to hear the news.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure, I had mentioned the fact that he yipes over everything, and she said that GSDs are a sensitive breed and she didn't seem concerned about it. The only reason I said anything at that point was because he yipes when you hold him tight to give him shots.

To the comment about his legs spreading, it wasn't like he was doing the splits. It was more like he fell into a sitting position with his legs spread. And I don't want anyone to think I make him sleep in the kitchen, he has free roam, the carpet is a few feet away. I think the kitchen floor is just cooler.

I apologize if my posts seem off or jumbled, Its been a long day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts