German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Looks mostly purebred to me. :) The poor ears look like they've been chewed by flies :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looks like a GSD to me. Is his ear torn like that. Other than his ear he looks healthy, cant tell how tall he is from photos, got any photos of him standing beside something, just trying to guess age. Good luck with him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the poor little guy was covered in two types of ticks. I've managed to get rid of those and the fleas. He does have some damage to his ears including an inch long scar starting at the top of one ear. He also has what appears to be an injury to one of his front legs. His joint seems swollen and causes Jim a little pain. Overall I'm looking forward to working with him and hope I can bring him back. Standby for more pics!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm glad he's now in a caring home, I'm sure he'll pay your kindness back ten fold :) I can't wait to see updated photos in a few months!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
He looks like GSD in the dace, but his tail is very short and his legs seem longer than average.

Might be that I'm just used to seeing the shorter legs on my working girl. Ossie was somewhat tall, but not unproportioned.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I see what you mean on the front leg joint, the swelling might go down on its own. He does seem to be putting his weight on it, so hopefully not painful. Tail is a bit short, I wonder if it got caught in something and the end came off, seems likely as he is a bit battered. very lucky you found each other.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Could be purebred, or if not very high mix. Legs area bit different but that really does not mean much, some lines have less angle to hock. I love his face. Thanks for taking him in and caring for him.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Could be purebred, or if not very high mix. Legs area bit different but that really does not mean much, some lines have less angle to hock. I love his face. Thanks for taking him in and caring for him.
I don't know what he would be mixed with that wouldn't show more. The coat is all working sable to me. Tail is too short, but the hips and carry of the tail still say GSD to me. The legs are long, and the back legs are abnormally straight, but who knows how nutrition/sickness/or other factors of his environment have played into those things.

What is his weight? I can't really visualize his size... and any ballpark on the age?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
He looks like an Alaskan Klee Kai (spelling?) mixed with a GSD... has a sable GSD color but has the face of a Klee Kai and the front legs and body shape... here is a picture of a Klee Kai for reference the bodies looks strikingly similar even the shorter tail and the ears sorta look the same too in the shape :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sorry I can't be more informative. I don't know too much about dogs. As far as age I would say maybe 5-6 months. Its comparable to gsds of that age anyway. He can't way more than 25 lbs. I feel he is very underweight. Unfortunately he's still very obviously a street dog and won't eat dog food. He is also very fond on eating flys....I don't know. I'm hoping once he puts on weight I'll be able to tell if he is in fact a gsd. As far as being mixed with a klee kai...I doubt it very much. I live in a very poor part of the country and around here if its not a pit bull or boxer then odds are people don't want it. I thought maybe a little Belgian malinois but I find than unlikely. Thanks for your opinions guys!

·
Registered
624 Posts
A purebred GSD will have: large erect ears, medium set brown eyes, a long muzzle that's always black - except in white GSDs - and it will have a barrel-shaped body with proportionate legs. A high GSD mix should also have that rangy look. If the above characteristics aren't present, its definitely NOT a GSD!

·
Registered
938 Posts
It's very good of you to nurse him back to health. I think you will be able to tell when he fills out more if he has anything else in him. I only see sable GSD, but he appears to have extremely straight pasterns and a short tail. Maybe he has a small amount of cattle dog in him? But I vote 99% GSD and 100% awesome.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
I would guess a malnourished GSD or very high percentage mix.

Seriously doubt if there is a mix that it is Klee Kai. Partly because they are very rare and unlikely to be found in a street dog and partly because they are a toy breed under 10lbs, so unlikely to be mixing with a GSD.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
A purebred GSD will have: large erect ears, medium set brown eyes, a long muzzle that's always black - except in white GSDs - and it will have a barrel-shaped body with proportionate legs. A high GSD mix should also have that rangy look. If the above characteristics aren't present, its definitely NOT a GSD!
Not all GSDs have erect ears. Soft ears happen, as do injurred ears.
Not all GSD muzzles are long, or black. Some lines carry shorter muzzles (though still longer than that of most breeds) and some color patterns such as reverse mask cause muzzles that aren't black.
Not all GSDs have a "barrel shaped" body.

So whether those things are present or not really can't say it's a GSD. Photos are the easiest way to say, and based on those this is a GSD or very high % mix.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't know but Thanx Much for saving him.....

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
poor little guy is lucky you found him!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts