German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 13 month old, female german shepherd mix. When I bought her, I was told she was a purebred G.S. I am trying to figure out what she is mixed with. She is long and lanky, has all black nails, and has longer hair in the head/neck region. Her ears were floppy when we got her at 6 weeks, and erect at 7 weeks. Her tail is either straight or slightly curled up. I appreciate your feedback! :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Definitely not wolf, looks more Kelpie to me with those markings... They're not well known in the US and often get labeled as GSD's or GSD mixes. Could also be maybe husky mix... The puppy pic looks pure bred GSD though.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
She looks similar to a couple GSDs I've seen posted by others here. She's unique looking but it does happen. Is she spayed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She looks similar to a couple GSDs I've seen posted by others here. She's unique looking but it does happen. Is she spayed?
Yes, she is @ 4 months. I am adding a few more pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely not wolf, looks more Kelpie to me with those markings... They're not well known in the US and often get labeled as GSD's or GSD mixes. Could also be maybe husky mix... The puppy pic looks pure bred GSD though.
thank you for your reply. I attached a few more pictures in the next post. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting, I would have never thought of that without your help! Thanks:)

Anja's weight is 56 lbs @ 13 months. Don't know if this info. provides more clues...
A few more pictures of my baby... thanks to all of the responses so far!

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
My girl has sad eyes markings Nd she is in fact pb. Your dog doesn't look mixed at all. It's not uncommon for a GSD to have that pattern or a slightly curled tail. They are just faults for show dogs. But doesn't make it mixed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
At first, I want to say pure just not very good lines in her pedigree... however, there's something about her body that just looks very different.

It's hard to tell without seeing a picture of her standing and moving.... but her legs are definitely very long and look a little straighter than the typical GSD. I don't know how to really explain it, they just caught my eye though.

Her fur is what's getting me. Really really short hair on that girl. Almost like a dobie type it looks like. Does she have an undercoat? GSDs has their soft undercoat (they should at least) and a rough top coat. If an undercoat in nonexistent on her, she's probably got something else in her.

Her color/pattern is off for sure, but that's not enough for me to say a mix. Often with dogs that don't have the best background in their pedigree, you'll see some changes to their patterns. So I'm not sure if that's just from breeding faulted dogs for generations and generations, or maybe a possible mix in there.

Either way, in the end it really doesn't matter.... she's adorable and I'm glad she's got a good home! Looks like a happy pup to me! :)

-Forgot to mention: About the eyebrows... this is seen in bi-color GSDs sometimes too. It's definitely possible for a GSD to have them. I also see a lot of what's called "pet-lines" having them on patterns other than bi-colors. So it's not all that uncommon.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
There's something about the shape of her face and head that looks like a mix. I was also thinking australian cattle dog in the mix.

She is very cute!

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Looking at the new pics posted I'd say dobie mix too, her face and legs seem long and slender like a dobie. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
German Shepherds definitely can have "Eye brows". Genetically, "Bicolor" is the same gene that you see in Rotties and Dobies, "tan points" as it's called. However, German Shepherds normally possess strong masking, and the mask covers a lot of the face and can even extent to the chest.

New Page 1
Typically, the bicolour is a black dog with tan points much the same as a doberman. It is in fact the same gene. A very dark one with a strong black mask and much extension of the black may appear to be solid black, with a black undercoat and only some tan shading on the feet.
Here's an old US Champion with tan points that show fading and very little masking.
Barry von Graustein.

I don't really see any definite mix popping out... but something else does seem to be influencing her structure. It can be hard to tell because there's no set amount of genes they pick up from each parent. They can get 80 from one and 20 from the other. Or 60 from one and 40 from the other, etc, etc.

Edit: Taking another peek at her, she isn't bicolor though but rather a saddled/blanketed dog. (Lack of tar heelers and penciling.)
Here's a blanketed female with eyebrows
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=702987-bacara-grayblack

Your girl's lightening gene (causes the tan to be much lighter and more of a cream) creates more contrast between the coat. Which might be what gives it more of a different look from what we're used to seeing.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts