German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
agreed, check with a local attorney who has handled these issues. In some areas, you can be penalized for not having the sign. In others, you are admitting that you know your dog will hurt someone.

Another option is to get a sign that simply notes that dogs are on the premises. "Be Aware" instead of "Beware"

·
Registered
30,956 Posts
Maybe I should have a sign that says Beware of the Cat. And let the dogs surprise them? :rofl:

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I'm going to get a sign made for my front door that states, "Before you knock, how do you feel about suprises?"

·
2,967 Posts
It's true that you nee to check you local laws to find out about the different rules about liability with the dogs. Consider that sometimes the trespasser can be a child. If you dog bites a child hopping the fence to get a ball there are more reprecussions. Maybe they shouldn't be in your yard...but it is true that you can be at fault and liable for the injuries.

Florida specifies the words BAD DOG. Bad dog is considered to language simple enough to be read by most children and non english speakers and is specified as the appropriate language to protect you from liability. SO we have these signs on the sides of our fence. (Not that it particularly matters since our dogs are never out without us anyway...but better safe than sorry).
Bad Dog Sign Security Warning Beware of Dog - eBay (item 360274303975 end time Jun-27-10 13:47:57 PDT)

You also need to be careful soemtimes with the "Police K9" stuff. I'm not sure how that applies to signs but I know that I have been told that can be considered to be impersonating an officer...because your dog is Not a Police K9 and you are not a Police K9 handler.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
That brings up a good point...I was always under the impression that if you have a sign up it lowers your liability because they were warned...Does anyone know the legal side of this? Any lawyers out there?
It depends on where you live. In some places having a sign reduces your liability because if someone enters your property despite the sign they are knowingly taking the risk. That is much more common in more places than any law that says the opposite.
In other places the law says that no matter what the owner is liable, and others if the person was trespassing or was on your property to commit a crime the owner is not liable (no matter if there is a sign or not.)

While that is perfectly logical and you would think that is the way it would be, that isn't the way it really is. If you put up a sign of "Beware of Dog" then you are admitting that you have a potentially dangerous dog.
Actually the opposite is true in many places. It really depends on where you live.

I do like this one however...

I Dont Dial 911-Elite K-9
I have that signs but I haven't actually put it up anywhere... I do have signs on my fence that saw WARNING and show a snarling German Shepherd.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I've made my own. I just keep forgetting to get them made into signs... Right now I have two very obvious BEWARE OF DOG signs on my gates.

And a couple I've thought about getting made.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Here I have a No Trespassing sign (which my local AC told me to use instead of a beware of dog)...

I also have one on my fence that says Trespassers will be Eaten ...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just have "dog on duty" (a cute little sign by my bushes) ..... keep 'em guessing and then they meet my two GSDs!!!

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Inside my front porch window I have a sign that says; "forget the dog, beware of the wife" that I made. The other one for the back door I'm still working on will say; "don't make me come out there - the dog" with a picture of Odie from Garfield.

I have 2 GSD signs but have not put them out because I'm not sure where I want them. One is the "I can make it to the fence....." and the other says "property patrolled by a GSD".

Part of the reason I put any up at all is because I want any emergency personnel to know there are dogs in the house.

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Mine is a giant paw print that says, "You may get in, but you won't get out!"

It is meant to be humerous, not specifically to say that a dangerous dog lives here. So, I do not think it will go against me if some major weirdow numbskull decides entering my house would be fun.

·
Registered
27,224 Posts
We have the "I can make it to the fence in 2.5 seconds, can you?" on the gate going into the back yard.
Too bad it is a poorly angulated showline in the pic. I used a sharpie to make it look like Kacie, my long coat!

We also have the "I don't dial 911" on the inside door of my DH's machine shop, so his customers are aware. We get customers in/out often and they all basically know we have GSD's so no sign is really needed.
But you never know when someone may try to break in to steal the goods! With shop equipment, they'd need heavy equipment to get it out...then again, there is a huge inventory of parts worth $$.

I do know that insurance companies will cancel you in a heartbeat if they know you have a protection trained dog on premises. You'd think it would be the other way around, less premiums for theft.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
GSD's are exempt from coverage on most home owner's policies. I don't think that is justified, if so many other dogs are allowed, but it's a fact. With that in mind, I'd think that a warning sign might add a little bit to your case, should something about owner responsibility come up. I'm just saying, we're basically screwed anyway...

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have the area patrolled by German Shepherd Dog security with the german shepherd stacked pic its red black and white sign in my living room window

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I seen one on Ebay today that said if it comes over my fence I get to eat it. With a GSD on it. And a few more I really liked too. We will be building a fence soon and will be puting one on all sides and the 2 gates. I will also buy a Shar Pei one that says don't be fulled because I'm cute ;)

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
On my brother's window(we don't have the actual sign, I just printed out online.lol) One says "German Shepherd XING" and the other says "German Shepherds On Guard" I added the "s" on the second one.lol.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I seen one on Ebay today that said if it comes over my fence I get to eat it. With a GSD on it. And a few more I really liked too. We will be building a fence soon and will be puting one on all sides and the 2 gates. I will also buy a Shar Pei one that says don't be fulled because I'm cute ;)
People think your Shar Pei is cute? When I had a foster Shar Pei most people who saw him were scared of him and thought he was a pit bull. :rolleyes:
People who came to our door probably thought we had some giant vicious dog because he had this really deep, loud, slobbery bark he'd do when someone was at the door (there's no window so people couldn't see him.)

21 - 40 of 70 Posts