German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have a sign hanging to let others know you have GSD on premises for added security?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
my favorite is "I can make it to the fence in 2.5 seconds. Can you?" with a silloutte of a GSD.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
i don't yet...but will get one. when i get a real backyard lol. it is definitely more creative than "beware of dog" haha

·
Registered
514 Posts
In my state, putting a sign up that states I have a potentially dangerous dog could have legal repercussions if someone were to get bitten on my property. So if I get any signs, I will keep them on the INSIDE of my house, and just let the bad guys find out that I own a gsd on their own. At this point, Remy would just be happy getting some good pets from the bad guy/gal. :)

I do like this one however...

I Dont Dial 911-Elite K-9

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
In my state, putting a sign up that states I have a potentially dangerous dog could have legal repercussions if someone were to get bitten on my property. :)

Really? to me, putting up a sign should further waive your liability if a trespasser did get bit...

1.) it's your property. if they didnt' trespass they wouldn't get bit
2.) you're helping identify to the trespasser that this is not the best yard to trespass on. go find a yard without a GSD to trespass on lol

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Really? to me, putting up a sign should further waive your liability if a trespasser did get bit...

2.) you're helping identify to the trespasser that this is not the best yard to trespass on. go find a yard without a GSD to trespass on lol
Hahaha :rofl:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That brings up a good point...I was always under the impression that if you have a sign up it lowers your liability because they were warned...Does anyone know the legal side of this? Any lawyers out there?

·
Registered
514 Posts

I guess I should have stated that the law pertains to my specific county.
In my county:
When you admit that you have a dangerous dog, you must then abide by other laws, such as having a 6 foot fence surrounding the property, it must be installed a certain depth below the ground as well. Etc...

There are a lot of hoops I would need to jump through if I were to publicly claim my dog is potentially dangerous.

I think there should be no need to state what you own and what you don't own. Most people that come to your home will quickly find out you own a large dog. The bark is usually a big enough deterrent.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts

While that is perfectly logical and you would think that is the way it would be, that isn't the way it really is. If you put up a sign of "Beware of Dog" then you are admitting that you have a potentially dangerous dog. So the mailman comes in, startles your GSD who has NEVER been aggressive towards anyone, he gets bit, you get sued and your dog gets euthanized.

I'm not sure but putting up a sign saying you have a police K-9 when you don't could carry other repercussions? I don't think it's legal for your dog to wear a police K-9 vest so you might want to check on that before putting up a sign like that.

·
Registered
636 Posts
We have a Beware of Dog Sign right next to our front door -- not my choice lol...and my dog barks like crazy if anybody rings the doorbell. He then walks out the door and puts his head through the gate to smell people, and on very rare occasion has been known to back up and bark another couple of times. When he's inside and the person doesn't actually see him they think he's a lot bigger than he is -- he sounds big/mean/scary, but he's in fact a 45 lb mix. lol

I agree, you would think putting a sign up would lower your liability -- but then again I see the point of that meaning the owner is admitting their dog is dangerous. I do not consider my dog to be a threat to anybody, but if a stranger walked in the house threateningly I'm pretty positive my dog would get a little defensive/protective of the house...but doesn't mean he's a dangerous dog.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
mailman i can see you and you dog getting in trouble.

but a burglar/trespasser? a dog wouldn't get euthanized for biting a trespasser right? if so, what kind of justice is that

i should add. i was envisioning a backyard trespasser, not a GSD sitting on the front porch chomping on girl scouts ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
mailman i can see you and you dog getting in trouble.

but a burglar/trespasser? a dog wouldn't get euthanized for biting a trespasser right? if so, what kind of justice is that

i should add. i was envisioning a backyard trespasser, not a GSD sitting on the front porch chomping on girl scouts ;)
A bite is a bite, I would recommend everyone check their local ordinance to be sure you won't be creating a larger issue for yourselves by putting up a sign.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
There have been cases where a burglar got hurt in the home they were robbing, sued and won. :shrug:

There are several threads on here regarding signs and legalities.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
There have been cases where a burglar got hurt in the home they were robbing, sued and won. :shrug:.
Wow! American Justice at it's finest. all i can say is if my dog bites some one who broke into my house, and the law wants to euthanize him....they'll have to euthanize me 1st

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I have a sign on my front gate, it has a picture of a pistol on it and states; "Warning, anyone found here at night, will be found here in the morning." I have a "Beware of Dog" on my back yard fence as well as a sign that has a picture of a person being electrocuted and states "Hot Fence". I have a "Beware of Livestock" (it has a picture of a crazy looking horse bucking) on the gate leading to the barn.

Hmmm, come to think of it, I don't have a "Welcome" sign anywhere. What does that say about me?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I have a sign on my front gate, it has a picture of a pistol on it and states; "Warning, anyone found here at night, will be found here in the morning." I have a "Beware of Dog" on my back yard fence as well as a sign that has a picture of a person being electrocuted and states "Hot Fence". I have a "Beware of Livestock" (it has a picture of a crazy looking horse bucking) on the gate leading to the barn.

Hmmm, come to think of it, I don't have a "Welcome" sign anywhere. What does that say about me?
I knew I liked you

It says that I would enjoy your company because I am the same way :rofl:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts