German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forums but I wanted to pick a few brains out there on others who have this breed. My dog Poppy is two years old and whilst she is great with animals (wont touch a cat or frog!), I find she gets so excited by sheep. On one camping trip she escaped out of the tent to get to the adjacent field which was full of sheep. Naughty dog! Though she showed no aggression she did actually manage to round them all up in a corner! I cant help but think this has GOT to be down to her lineage. Anyone else who has experienced this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know they were originally bred as herders for German Shepherds, its just that when I tell other people they seem to scoff at me!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
People scoff sometimes because the shepherd is now usually viewed as a guard or show dog.
My girl, Dakoda, herds every time I go to my Uncle's house. She'll herd his sheep, goats, cows, horses (of course with cattle and horses she only messes with the ones who are used to dogs and seem to find her amusing). You name it and she will herd it. She's been like this since she was 4 months old and visited the very first time. Needless to say now she is better at it because my uncle trained her.
But, despite how people tend to see them, shepherds ARE a herding breed. So I would assume they should have SOME level of herding instinct :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although we do not allow her to be around sheep for safety reasons, I think its fascinating and lovely to see those instincts still so strong after years of unuse

1 - 5 of 5 Posts