German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally compiled my footage...

This probably gives you a sense of what it's like to own a German Shepherd before actually getting one. Ours is definitely motivated by playing, running, or generally having fun. You may notice our dog is skinny; that's just how she is. Ours was 15% underweight when we first got her, and she has remained lean despite many efforts to fatten her up. She just burns it off by running, and gets a ton of exercise. We used to do longer hikes pretty regularly too. Anyways, hopefully this video is fun for some of you other GSD owners. I tried to compile the best clips from the past two years, didn't always have a camera handy.

I would describe owning a GSD as "annoying but rewarding", haha. Enjoy.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Looks like she's living the life! Great video.

Kias is the same way with buckets as she is with that watering can! He'll fight it till he gets himself so worked up!

Reactions: corey

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm curious, do you have to travel far to get to those nice open (and empty of people) spaces?
She looks like a dream

Maybe I'm too old or something, but I almost never think to take videos. The rare occasions I do, the dogs get camera shy or maybe they're waiting for me to throw it.
Buddy is my first full GSD, and there has been some incredibly humorous moments. I look forward to years full of them. Such characters.

Thanks for sharing the vid. great chuckles first thing in the morn.

·
Super Moderator
5,180 Posts
what a delightful video! I second the caution about laser pointers. Some dogs have problems with them but other than that, this pretty much sums up life with a good GSD.

By the way, I am amazed at how lush your yard is. With a dog and all that shade you must put a lot of work into it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes that was our mistake. We actually learned very quickly to avoid using the laser pointer, because she become obsessed with this (and the noise of the keychain dangling.) I think that was from the first few months of having her, but totally realize it was a mistake. It took her a while to stop looking for it after we did it a long time ago.

I'm curious, do you have to travel far to get to those nice open (and empty of people) spaces?
Oh yeah, we used to hike closer by the house. Ever since getting the dog, we started hiking about 45-minutes away in the outskirts of Chicago at an abandoned military base turned into a 27-square miles prairie restoration project. We try to go places with very few people are around. In Chicago, there are actually a lot of hiking and forested areas great for off-leash stuff, even though you are technically not supposed to do it. We have her pretty well trained to stay in yard, but all the neighbors love her, so it hasn't really been an issue.

By the way, I am amazed at how lush your yard is.
Haha it looks especially nice in this video, but she tends to (go bathroom, and thus) destroy a certain part of the front yard. Our backyard connects with the neighbor so I can kind of hit the tennis balls back there too; sometimes I'll do the ball back there if she has been running a lot on pavement, etc.

Thanks for the kind words, glad this dog could give some others a laugh. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ah yes, We learned the hard way. First with our Pit/GSD mix, Tasha, years ago. It took at least a year for her to settle down, but still on occasion will catch a reflection on the ceiling from sun shining on something outside. Will watch it like a hawk for a while. And this is a 14 yr old dog who has bad eyesight now. I'm surprised she even notices it anymore.
Got dumb when we got Buddy (full GSD), forgot about the problems with Tasha. Played with him for about a week (maybe 10 minutes a day in garage). Again, it took awhile for him to settle down (a few months for him) and not look for it when going into the garage. He sometimes will catch site of flickering reflections, but it doesn't seem as neurotic as it did with Tasha, I think it is simply his incredibly high prey drive seeing something 'move'.
We remembered this when we got Greyson (ACD/GSD mix)... So he is as normal as he can be I guess, at least in this regard.

·
Registered
731 Posts
great video, she is adorable and funny!

my dog has sniffed and rejected every fruit I've offered him, yours seems a lot less picky :LOL:
Really? Our old dog used to go for grapefruit like it was the best thing in the world! You're missing out on some really amusing play times!

Reactions: GSDchoice
1 - 10 of 10 Posts