German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, my name is Gabriel and I'm from Brazil (sorry for the English btw).

1. My mom's boyfriend gave me a real special gift ( a German Shepherd puppy!!!). He's almost 4 months old, I took him to a vet and he's health, but his tongue is almost full black/purple (it's not just some spots), my vet said that it might be a genetic fault (his tail is kinda curly too), some people tried to convince me that he's a mix with chow chow which I really doubt because he doesn't look like a chow chow. What do you guys think about it? Mix or genetic fault? I haven't seen his parents thought. Did you guys have seen a German Shepherd with black tongue once in your lives?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
The idea that only Chows have black on their tongues and any dog with black on its tongue must be part Chow is a myth that will not die.

I have personally not seen a GSD with a tongue that was almost entirely black, but have had GSDs with one or more black spots of varying sizes. He looks pure in your photos so i wouldn’t worry about it.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Bem vindo para isso forum amigo!

Your puppy could possibly be a mix of some sort if he is not registered, but from his appearance I feel comfortable saying he clearly is not part Chow! An Embark DNA test could tell you for sure, but to me he looks purebred GSD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts