German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone ,

I recently got a German Shepherd Puppy at 8 weeksold. I've had him for 5 days. I noticed he had worms in his stool so myhusband & I took him to the vet & got medication for it.

My husband no longer wants to keep thepuppy because he is grossed out & says the pup is a threat to ourchildren & our health due to the pup pooping & peeing in thecarpet/floor.

I do not want to give up the pup. My kids are 12,8 & 6 yrs. old, I feel they are old enough to wash their hands and clean upafter the pup if an accident happens & I’m not around. I work & go toschool so I’m not home from 7am-8pm, my husband is out the door by 6am -7pm.

What should I do to convince my husband that aslong as the areas are cleaned/sanitized we will be ok. We currently live in apartments but are very active people(this is why I got a shepherd). We will be purchasing a home in 1 yr. so I knowit’ll get better.

I don’t know what else to do, How do I convince myhusband to keep the puppy? He was fine with the idea of the pup until he sawthe worms.

Are German shepherds bad for kids? I love this dog , I do not want to get rid of him. :|

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
maybe you are not the right kind of active ?

seems like the adults are not available from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. with growing attention needing children
and personal needs competing for attention in those few precious non-sleeping hours that remain.

the pup needs proper care to house train him for washroom habits, socialization, training , etc.

honestly , worm or no worm, I think it a good idea to return the pup so that it has the best future.

·
Registered
298 Posts
What's going to happen when that pup gets to be 40lbs and bigger, that would to much dog for a kid to handle! Even adults have a hard time holding onto a 70lb dog unless it's well trained by then. They need alot of training that kids that young can do. A gsd is not a dog to give to a young child to play with, especially without parental supervision. I would rethink the breed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi NBO! Congrats on the new puppy. First I would recommend you to crate the puppy. This way he will not keep walking around and pee when he wants to. You contain the area of impact... ;)

Second, use wee wee pads inside the crate and outside the crate. It's an absorbent pad for puppies and easier to clean up.

Start Housebreaking training during weekend and evenings, all you have to do is, if the puppy is awake, immediately take him out of the crate and take him to the wee wee pad that is outside of the crate.

Now you are teaching him that a crate is his personal space and we do not eat, pee and poop there but only sleep and relax. Usually puppies eat and poop + drink some water and then pee, just like babies.

So you need to watch out those times for a week, to take him to the wee wee pad. Eventually within a week he will automatically start going to the wee wee pad.

Also remember to deep clean the already pee areas with White Vinegar, so he doesn't get the scent and start peeing there again.

Now once you have this situation under control, I believe it will be much easier to convince your husband. All the best, you'll get there, trust me... :D

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Boy the problem is that things can get and often do get much gross-er. Vomit, poop, eating poop, pee, wounds. If your husband is making a stink now, I dunno how this works in the long run. Worms are pretty normal, they can happen from time to time, no biggy, part of life with dog and other life on earth. (My 3 year old dog had tapeworm last week. Meds for 3 days and we are done)

There was an article associated with Michael Pollen that talks about how our obsession with cleanliness, anti-bacterial soap, etc, actually weakens are immune system and he sited a study that said kids that live with dogs have healthier functioning immune systems because their lives are not so clean.

I think the question is not convincing your husband but can he get over this. Some folks with OCD levels of anxiety over germs and worms would have an issue regardless of the facts. If he can't handle it, you might want to give this puppy a fresh start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
let me add a little bit more information.My kids are not alone, my sister baby sits when I’m not home. Myschedule will not be forever. In 2 months it will go back to being out of thehouse from 7 am -5pm.

When the dog gets older. My sisterwill be handling him, not my children. .

The Puppy is being trainedgreatly,(so I think) he is pooping outside,I reward him with a treat every time he does, but occasionally urinates inside. ( I haven’t mastered that ) it’s only been5 days!

He goes to sleep by 10pm wakes upto use the restroom at 2:30am and sleeps until 6:00 am. I feed & walk himbefore going to work. My oldest cares for him while I'm out, she feeds &walks him during the day. ( but the pup sleeps for most of it. )

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Who watches the pup while you and your husband are away?--that's a long time for a pup to be alone. While worms can be treated with a trip to the vet, house-training, socialization, and obedience training a young pup will be hard if both you and your husband are away that long. Perhaps, an adult dog or older puppy would be best for your situation. Or even waiting until you're done with school? I returned to school for a second degree after working several years in a field I didn't enjoy. Reading/studying and homework took almost all of my free time, and I didn't have kids. While my classmates talked about celebrating their graduations (and new jobs) by booking cruises or buying a new car, I knew I wanted a puppy. It was good motivation. We moved out of the duplex and acquired Asher about 6 months after I started my new job.

It must be hard to go back to school, work, and raise three kids! Good for you for making that commitment!!!

EDIT--You posted the answer to my question before I posted this. But I'll just leave it anyway. Also, there are monthly heartworm pills you get from the vet that should keep your pup clear of parasites.

·
Registered
298 Posts
let me add a little bit more information.My kids are not alone, my sister baby sits when I’m not home. Myschedule will not be forever. In 2 months it will go back to being out of thehouse from 7 am -5pm.

When the dog gets older. My sisterwill be handling him, not my children. .

The Puppy is being trainedgreatly,(so I think) he is pooping outside,I reward him with a treat every time he does, but occasionally urinates inside. ( I haven’t mastered that ) it’s only been5 days!

He goes to sleep by 10pm wakes upto use the restroom at 2:30am and sleeps until 6:00 am. I feed & walk himbefore going to work. My oldest cares for him while I'm out, she feeds &walks him during the day. ( but the pup sleeps for most of it. )
Ok, I'm sorry, ignore my post! It did sound like the kids would be the ones to take care of the pup. It sounds then that your on the right track, keep it up! The worms can be cured, like the others said. Give it time, it will work out!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Heart worm does not clear all parasites. It is part of owning a dog. From time to time they can get worms. Heart worm meds for instance do not treat tapeworm.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
True, I guess I should have said they help with many parasites. The flea-preventatives (we use Nexguard) can help prevent flea infestations, and thus avoid/minimize tape worms. I know a lot of people don't like to use the chemicals, but I've found that the fleas in TN are so bad, we have to use something. When I lived in PA, they didn't seem so bad, and we could get by just using the meds if we saw a flea, but not here. I haven't seen any tape worms, and when Asher's stool is tested at the vet's it has always been negative. Doesn't mean he won't get any in the future, of course.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I'm sorry, ignore my post! It did sound like the kids would be the ones to take care of the pup. It sounds then that your on the right track, keep it up! The worms can be cured, like the others said. Give it time, it will work out!
No problem , Thank you for your comments. I need as much advice as possible.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Hi NBO and welcome, you've come to the right place for suggestions, so please don't get discouraged or offended by what is said here.;)

I'm not trying to discourage you but I'm not convinced about this situation.

Is your husband and children ready for the "Land Shark" phase that will be happening soon?

Nipping at his good pants....possibly tearing them and some skin underneath?

Chasing the kids and biting at their feet, legs, hands, and sometimes drawing blood?

Chewing up something VERY important or dangerous?

Those things WILL happen and they have to be redirected in a positive way....not swatting the pup for wrongdoing......they do not know!

This is a large dog, with LARGE poop (diarrhea included) and vomit, as has been mentioned, and sometimes what comes out of either end can permanently stain your rug or furniture or clothes.

Many GSD's come up with issues.....body wise, and social wise.
.....2am emergency vet visits ($$$$)...personal trainer.....

I would have a puppy every year, if I could, because I love the stages...good and bad....but is YOUR FAMILY ready for all of this?????

First week or two is the "honeymoon phase" THEN things begin to happen.

Please consider this very carefully, and if it is not something the whole family can tolerate.......please return the pup to the breeder.....sooner than later.....for the pups sake.

If EVERYONE is on board to raise this new little life, along with the good and bad things......then study the many threads on this site to help you, and ask LOTS questions! There are people on here with years and years of experience to help!:D

Best of luck,
Moms:)

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I still have reservations about the situation . Everything from the adults being away for such long times - and family obligations and study and papers , the demands of the education, the kids own school interests, and now a pup whose character will be molded by his experience and training.

So far , the eldest child, a sister and , did I see mention of a baby sitter , have been delegated the main activities involving early training, socialization , and exercise .
A 12 year old - may or may not be dog crazy or dog savvy . May blow it with inappropriate dog to dog socialization . The 12 year old , young (redundant) well intentioned and naive , may welcome a nose to nose meeting with a dog who will be aggressive with the pup. That will leave a lasting impression.

So many handlers . No consistency . Early training is best when there is a bond , clear expectations, clear marking behaviour, clear rewards . You can't have this wit so many handlers.

Child will be child. Sister will be sister . Those are stable relationships within the family.

Babysitters and au pairs are not stable members of the family unit .

They "help" may like a cute fuzzy puppy --- wait until gangly , active 6 months .

You will not have the same dog as if you , or one , raised it - custom to your liking "YOUR" dog , not a committee dog.
This breed in particular does discriminate and will do best with one main person he is responsible to and for .
That is the loyalty aspect .
The dog will pick who that will be .

And then there is the husband who doesn't sound exactly thrilled .

If I were the breeder that you had approached I would have recommended that you finish your studies first .

who has the dog bonded with ?

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
The pup will not be of harm to your children if they wash their hands.

Worms are common is puppies - not the end of the world.

I would invest in a crate and contain pup when an adult cannot supervise. Also help to house train them.

It's a sticky situation if your whole family is not on board.

Puppies will chew, they will nip when young ( remember they do not have hands) and have to learn manners.

In addition to that, they must have proper exercise and quality food.

They need attention. They need love.

If your family cannot provide all of the above, and this breed demands more than most, I would rehome while pup is young enough to be appealing to new owner. Easier to find home for a puppy than a grown dog.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
in some ways there is a similarity with this thread http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/647481-not-normal-puppy-behavior-i-do-not-know-what-do.html

because you have someone bringing in a pup when they have the least time and have to enlist others to be primary care takers .

the difference is in the "not-normal" thread the mother brings in the dog because she wants protection -- and then is too busy -- 17 year old volunteers ------

in this thread 8 weeks old - help , the mother brings in a pup when her agenda is full - no time

in the "not normal" thread there are many handlers , 17 year old, sister, brothers , etc etc

in the 8 week pup thread there will be multiple handlers - 12 year old , OP's sister, and au pairs or baby sitters as they come and go .

Was this pup so super duper that you couldn't wait till all the ducks were in the row --- a better time ?

The person in charge has to BE there . Both adults , the mom and dad , are missing most of the time.
Kids are in school. Only one of them is barely able to work with the dog . First time dog gets a bit feisty and chases or grabs pants its game over . The other kids are too young.

who is the dog bonding to?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts