German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone im looking for some advice about my 3 year old german shepherd king. King is nearly the perfect dog hes very friendly and hes trained well and listens to me and does well in his training and agility classes, my only problem with king is ball possession when i throw the ball king doesnt give it back or runs away from me and doesnt listen to anything i say but he listens to me perfect when he doesnt have a ball in his mouth, ive tried having a long line and ave tried the 2 ball technique and tried using treats but nothings working king goes into an obsessive state when he has ball in his mouth and doesnt listen to one word i say when he has toy in his mouth. King has a very strong leave in command and will leave anything but his toys when playing fetch when i say the leave it command kings walked away with toy in his mouth, any advice would be great thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My 3 yo had similar issue since puppy stage, used two ball and was diligent with waiting for her to drop first ball before throwing second ball (secured first with my foot as she would grab both), also I would ignore her until she followed on dropping ball (turned my back on her). It took a lot and she still has tendency to "hug the ball", started to use soft Frisbee and she is now working perfectly well and drops it on command (this is now her favorable toy). I would say need to be diligent and show disinterest if he is not complying.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree with Waldi. I also had success with using 2 balls. At first, Sting kept staying back with the first ball in his mouth. But then I made the ball I had the best ball by playing with the second ball - tossing it up and down and catching it, all the while totally ignoring Sting and the boring first ball :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts