German Shepherds Forum banner

German Shepherd or GS LAB Mix?

30K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  carmspack 
#1 ·
So I bought a GSD from a breeder, 2 years later I bought another (just happened by chance to be the same people) He is 8 months old maybe 40 lbs and my husband is convinced he is mixed with lab. Can I get some opinions?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well German shepherds do come in a solid black color and everything about your pup looks GSD except the facial structure. So I would say a mix but doesn't look lab to me, not sure what but I'm sure others will chime in. :)

#3 ·
Was there no pedigree from the breeder? That's really the only ways to tell 100%. But I'd say he looks like a purebred GSD

Are you sure his weight is around 40 lbs or is that a guess? Delgado is a purebred GSD with papers and he was 56 lbs at 8 months, so if his weight is closer to 50 it might not be that unusual. What about his height?

#8 ·
He is small... but so is Suki his sister from another litter is only 50 lbs. The breeder was charging twice as much if I got papers. I just wanted a solid black to run with my husband. I will get some other pictures and post them. Maybe that will help. I will get some of his sister as well. Please hold :)

#19 ·
Looks like a GSD puppy to me too. It isn't uncommon for people to mistake black GSD for lab mixes. :)

#26 ·
I said this "I wouldn't believe they are a repeat litter , or as you said it, from the same set of parents one year apart .

do you have any pictures or pedigree information on the adults"

because their head shape, muzzle length, lack of stop is quite different .

You can get a DNA swab kit from DDC veterinary Animal DNA Testing Services

not at all expensive .

that at least will tell you if the two are related . may as well spend a little bit more and get the test done for degenerative myelopathy .

I believe they can do a gene sequence for breed as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.