German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a GSD from a breeder, 2 years later I bought another (just happened by chance to be the same people) He is 8 months old maybe 40 lbs and my husband is convinced he is mixed with lab. Can I get some opinions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Well German shepherds do come in a solid black color and everything about your pup looks GSD except the facial structure. So I would say a mix but doesn't look lab to me, not sure what but I'm sure others will chime in. :)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Was there no pedigree from the breeder? That's really the only ways to tell 100%. But I'd say he looks like a purebred GSD

Are you sure his weight is around 40 lbs or is that a guess? Delgado is a purebred GSD with papers and he was 56 lbs at 8 months, so if his weight is closer to 50 it might not be that unusual. What about his height?

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Hmm maybe it's just the angle of the photo, the head just looks too small to me and 40lbs seems awfully small for an 8 month old male. But I am not an expert by any means!

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Actually looking at a bigger pic on my PC, he does look PB... maybe you're just off about the weight. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He is small... but so is Suki his sister from another litter is only 50 lbs. The breeder was charging twice as much if I got papers. I just wanted a solid black to run with my husband. I will get some other pictures and post them. Maybe that will help. I will get some of his sister as well. Please hold :)

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I wouldn't believe they are a repeat litter , or as you said it, from the same set of parents one year apart .

do you have any pictures or pedigree information on the adults?

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Looks like a GSD puppy to me too. It isn't uncommon for people to mistake black GSD for lab mixes. :)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
My lab was about 40 lbs when I got her spayed around 7 months...
the op's picture looks GSD to me.

This is what my little lab mix looks like.

One thing about lab mixes is that the floppy ears usually win.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts