German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone.I'm new here!
We are a family of three,me my husband, our toddler son and two cats, and are looking for a dog to join our family. Our previous dog was a big beautiful bouncy irish setter so i'm used to large dogs but as I am the primary walker and I walk a lot alone which I enjoy I do want a dog with an element of 'protection' ie. That would deter any 'undesirables' should we come across any. So I have narrowed it down to these two breeds. My routine consists of 1hr 30mins off lead local countryside mornings and 30 mins local park evenings. We go on dog friendly uk holidays and will be attending training classes. Based on your experiences which breed do you think will suit our family circumstances?
Kindest regards Tina.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Either one would suit :) GSD puppies are quite intense but with training and patience they really do mature wonderfully

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ranger is my first GSD and he is the sweetest dog I have ever owned. He loves all people and wants to socialize with all of them. Still I am always surprised to see that many many people are terrified of him just because he is a GSD. So based on what you have described as your desired dog (good family dog who would deter unwanted people when you walk alone) I would think that a GSD may meet that criteria.

I only have a little experience with Boxers. A neighbor had the sweetest boxer in the world when my kids were litttle. It was like the nanny dog in peter pan. But since then I have met a couple boxers that have been aggressive to non-family members. I currently know two boxers that have bitten non-family members. That said I know that GSDs have the same reputation it is just that I personally don't know any aggressive GSDs that were raised as family dogs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My best Buddy as a kid was a Boxer/GSD mix. Thunder, he was tan with a black mask, white star on his chest, white right front paw, normal GSD jaw line, erect ears, medium coat length, 70lbs of dynamite. I know this doesn't help your choice but it brought back the memories. I live in New England and with my habits the cold weather calls for a GSD. Besides my Grand Pappy's influence was always GSD and I never looked back after Thunder passed. Simply great dogs.

·
Registered
30,388 Posts
I have both breeds. I'll take a German Shepherd any day. My first love is the rough coat Collie though. Excellent family dog!

And by the way, both my male collies would literally bite someone for me. Even the slightest threatening manner put them on alert.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
I've never had a boxer, had very little interaction with them. I prefer GSDs so far as looks go (that's all I have to judge a boxer on). As far as I can tell, boxers don't seem to have any reputation as protectors. I haven't seen one work in IPO either.

When I walk with my dogs, I know that their looks may discourage any duffuss out to bug me but I also know that I am what a duffuss should worry about.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Grew up with both and in my personal opinion only I found Boxers make amazing family pets, great disposition, temperament, all together happy, loving dog that does well in agility, however for protection purposes the GSD would of course be a better choice. If your post didn't have the "protection" aspect to it....Boxer is the way to go.
But my personal preference is GSD however I don't have a toddler or cats.

·
Registered
30,388 Posts
Cats were never an issue with our Boxers. Other than Banshee thought they made neat sounds when stepped on.

As far as protection, I have no doubt that a well bred Boxer would make an excellent protector. At least in my experience, two of our previous Boxers had it in them. Especially our female with our son.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I weigh in on the GSD side. Black GSDs especially seem to be off-putting although that not is why I prefer them. I have never had a boxer and am not much attracted to them but can appreciate their look.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My daughter has two boxers. They are only about 5 months old right now. They are in the puppy stage, but sweet dogs that seem to train well. I prefer GSD's, but her are good dogs.

·
Super Moderator
6,286 Posts
you're on a GSD board so naturally I'd assume the responses to be in favor of GSD, however, I'll be in the minority and suggest a boxer. yes both can be great dogs and fit well into your situation but in my experience only thru friends and family members with boxers - it's been a wonderful breed for active families and much easier to deal with during the teenage years - not one (out of 5) has had to go thru the leash reactivity that I've dealt with to some degree with all of my shepherds. they're a goofy and athletic breed that you'll have to manage and keep up with physically but overall I don't see them as challenging as shepherds. coming off of an Irish setter, I'd say a boxer is more similar to raise. I also recommend them quite frequently to first time dog owners.

one huge difference between the two would be the amount of shedding you're willing to deal it. just sayin, lol

Attachments

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Well they posted the same thread here and on the Boxerforum! And I saw it there first so most of my efforts are over there!

No first hand experience with any bird dog types myself but I would not plan on a Boxer being anything like a Irish Setter!

The dog to protect you kinda throws a monkey wrench in the works as it were. You can't "expect" an untrained dog to confront a human! It may happen, it may not?? Unless it's been trained in PP you don't know!

And as to "haven't seen an IPO Boxer (another post), that is most likely true! Doesn't mean they aren't out there and can't do that job! :)

We have a son of Cliff on Boxer Forum! And I do believe he is an IPO dog??

Cliff vom Grand Kevin

I tend to roll with "Goofy" myself so all American for me but if I wanted an IPO dog ... a Boxer would still be a viable option.

German and Euro's would be the call for an IPO "candidate." :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Thankyou EVERYONE once again for your replies. I posted on the Boxer forum as well to get lots of feedback and I have to say I am leaning towards the Beautiful GSD. Coming from an irish setter(they are very hyper!) my husband would prefer a dog less 'bonkers' and I know boxers are known for their 'high jinx!'. But primarily for me as the primary carer/handler/walker I want my dog to be a 'deterant' rather than attack someone and am willing to invest the time and training to make a great companion!. Thankyou everyone. I will enjoy reading the boards and looking at your wonderful pictures! X

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
This is kinda like going on the dodge forum and asking to choose between a Ford and a Dodge:D
IMO I think Shepherds are the way to go they are excellent family pets! Both my shepherd are extremely great with kids!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts