German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fortunate enough to currently have 2 male GSD’s in my family. In total I’ve had 7 GSD’s. I recently purchased a male (now 5 months old) from an incredible breeder with an outstanding kennel. He’s the most expensive GSD I’ve purchased; ALL German bloodlines. However, I’m becoming concerned as his coat is coming in curly along his back, long hair around his ears and hocks; his father is ranked 31st in the world, both parents are German bred and short haired; I’m concerned that my $3,600 dog is throwing a long haired coat; something I specifically told the breeder I did not want (had a long coat I resecued from a puppy farm - only purchased her to save her). Given my Barrett is just 5 months old, am I overly concerned given the long, curly hair down his spine and tail? I love Barrett, he fits into our family perfectly; gets along with our 3 year old GSD, and is great with people-but I’m concerned ...,, any thoughts & expertise from members would be appreciated. Email is [email protected]. Thank you for any insight you can provide. Kim

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Ouch! Looks like a coatie to me. I remember reading on here about the same thing that happened to another member. I don't recall their name, but the dog's name was Chase. I think she bought it from a big name breeder. Poor girl used to constantly give her dog bad haircuts trying to hide it.

I bought a GSD once and it was supposed to be a short stock coat. She grew up to have a long, heavy Collie coat. I was upset back then as that was not what I wanted I had wanted. Today, I would not mind having one.

Reactions: andywhite and Nigel

·
Registered
241 Posts
Definitely a log coat. Looks similar to mine as a puppy.

I’m partial to my long coat boy but I can understand if people don’t like them. I kept the hair between my boy’s ears trimmed for a while, and I still trim up his butt fluff, underline, and hair between his toes. Nothing drastic, just enough to clean him up a little. I am a groomer by profession and would recommend, if the idea sounds appealing, taking him in to trim things up. (It’s harder than you think!)

You can always trim the leg feathering and the underline higher, but he’ll have a bit more of a mane than a stock coat. I like it though, personally. A lot more to pet!

A good family member with a great temperament is a little harder to replace!

Attachments

Reactions: Shepdad
1 - 6 of 6 Posts