German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted this guy from a friend of a friend (accident litter) never got to see pictures of the parents, but curious to know opinions of posters on this forum, what you all think he is mixed with?
And also curious about those ears, when he was 8 weeks I though they would be floppy his whole life, but now at 4 months they seem to be coming up more than down!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Awwwwww! I just went a little heart-melty. :wub:

My guess would be some sort of collie mix. Whatever he is, he's absolutely adorable!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
What a sweet face. My guess would be some type of collie mix but really what area do you live in? Look around at your common strays and that will probably tell you.
I lived in a city for years that kept posting stray dogs in shelters as Rhodesian Ridgeback mixes and I have seen maybe two of them in like 20 years, I am also in Canada and every speckled dog I see is an apparent Catahoula mix but I still have yet to see a purebred one up here, lol.
Whenever dad is an unknown I look at what was running loose near mom.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Collie / German Shepherd mixes were very popular when I was a kid. He very much looks like one.

Reactions: Rchisum

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Tails get more floof usually after a year old. I had a shepherd/ collie possibly golden retriever mix looked like your pup but had a tan body and black face. He was one of the greats! Same ears they never stood.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've been seeing a lot of Aussie and border collies mixed with GSDs lately. As well as other herding and guardian breeds. Unfortunately husky is probably the most common. He doesn't look like any lab/GSD mixes I've seen. Was the GSD parent a longcoat?

Also Sabi, do you guys have a lot of ranchers and such around you? I'm down in MT and cats are becoming super common as are the mixes. People use them for hunting and herding. Also saw a Rhodesian ridgeback mix litter (either dad or mom was purebred, other was a blue tick I think) those puppies were about $200 and I can guarantee at least some of them will end up being bred. By spotted do you mean Merle or more like heeler?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Congrats, very cute! I'm going to guess a border collie x gsd! I grew up in an area with many pure bred border collies, definitely has that look to me. Although it would be more usual for it to be more of a mix of different things, but not sure about your area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts