German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little rescue pup Fido has now been with me for 2 1/2 months. Since the shelter just found him somewhere abandoned they could only tell me that he was a German shepherd mix estimated to be 8 weeks old.
Everyone from there on that I met over the first couple of weeks told me that he wasn't going to grow much and that he will remain small judging by his paws. He is currently at 30lbs and a height of 28". In comparison to purebred gsd he seems small.
Quite a few people I met on walks have told me he might be mixed with a greyhound.
I am currently switching his diet to raw feeding and so far he seems so love it and eats much better after becoming very picky recently.
Does he seem to small, and do you all suppose he might be a working line mix?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
One of the best dogs I ever had was half GSD and half greyhound. Netty Bumpo was bridle striped like a tiger and had huge, luminous black rimmed eyes like the moon rising over Egypt. Your puppy has eyes like these, although he has the GSD coloring. I would like to see a picture of your dog taken from the side at his eye level to check for the tucked up waist. Also, if your dog is smallish he might be a GSD crossed with Whippet, a type of small greyhound. Welcome to the board :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the best dogs I ever had was half GSD and half greyhound. Netty Bumpo was bridle striped like a tiger and had huge, luminous black rimmed eyes like the moon rising over Egypt. Your puppy has eyes like these, although he has the GSD coloring. I would like to see a picture of your dog taken from the side at his eye level to check for the tucked up waist. Also, if your dog is smallish he might be a GSD crossed with Whippet, a type of small greyhound. Welcome to the board /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Tried to keep him as still as possible but he was very excited over the treats ?

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also to add here I looked up some paw size averages of greyhounds and he definitely fell over the whippet standard size

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Well, he could be.... He's not as tucked up as a Greyhound or cross but he is still a young puppy. Have you ever noticed that no matter what the shape of the adult breed, and there are many bizarre shapes of dogs, puppies all have the same basic generic puppy shape? Especially when they are babies they look pretty much alike.

Also, the greyhounds and whippets mostly carry a low tail. They they carry a tail like the above picture it is considered a little fault called a gay tail. I notice most GSDs tend to carry a low tail also, exept when excited or very dominant.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. My money is on Whippet. I know a dog who is a mix of GSD and Whippet and she looks exactly like yours. The one I know is around 10 months, 50lb.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its been a while since I opened this thread but by now I found out what mix he is!
I pretty much accidently ran into a sibling of my little boy and after talking for a while we thought since they behaved so similiary and looked basically the same they might actually be related. After some time she had contacted the owner of the parent dogs and apparently one of the people she sold a puppy to abandoned it pretty much.
So the father is a Siberian Husky and the mother a German Shepherd Mix.
We even had a little meet up with two of Fidos sisters and the Father of them!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts