German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am getting a 9 week old german shepherd puppy here in two weeks. I've been hearing from a bunch of people that you can train them to deal with a invisible fence and there are others that say you can not train them with that and need a fenced in yard. Heres my dilemma i have plenty of land for the dog and have another dog that is trained with the invisible fence, now can i train a german shepherd to accept the invisible fence or do i have to fork over money to build a expensive fence that i currently and will not be able to afford for quite a while. so if anyone has any tips or tricks or information for me that would be greatly appreciative.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I wouldn't trust their life on it. The invisible fence does work well for us 90% of the time. But often something like a squirrel or deer entices our dog to run through it. Not all dogs are the same though. It still works for us, but we are far from any road.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've seen to many "fails" for me to suggest any body try one......Yes they can work for some dogs...really depends on the individual dog and as was already mentioned you can't control other wildlife or loose dogs --not worth the risk IMO...a fence is always the way to go....I know that's not what you were hoping to hear...

·
Registered
12 Posts
We put up flags around the yard laying out the lot line, trained our dog (positive reward) to stay within the flags. He hasn't crossed them once yet

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Our dogs don't cross our boundaries and we don't have invisible fencing. They can be trained to respect yours, with patience and a back up plan if something crosses into your yard. We called our 2 off of 4 deer crossing the back of our yard the other day without any difficulty.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think every dog is different, but this breed is very smart and very trainable. With another dog that already knows the established boundaries, i think it is very possible to keep it within the area. However there is always exceptions. Which is why you should always watch your pups while they are outside, regardless of a fence or underground fencing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts