German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know some of you don't know the existence of the gold color on GS or that even exists. also know that there's another thread on here talking about golden Shepherds (golden ret. x GS) this has nothing to do with that. this are purebred GSD.
here are some pics of them with the litter and some family too.
most of this dogs are from the Rhein Moselring blood lines and english lines.
here are some of their blood lines
Perine Vom Rhein-Moselring - German shepherd dog
Kirios Schwartz da Quinta ABC - German shepherd dog
V Klodo von der Partnachklamm - German shepherd dog
V Cindy vom Steigerwaldgrund - German shepherd dog
SG Dixi von der weißen Taube - German shepherd dog
Bingo Vom Dalwigerholz - German shepherd dog

this is my girl Maggy

pics from her litter and parents
father

mother

Maggy's litter

·
Registered
485 Posts
Beautiful pictures!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
She doesn't look quite as golden as some of those, but here is my Ditto. Glad to see these because so many people try telling me she isnt a GSD because of her color. BTW Maggie is beutiful!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Beautiful dogs, enjoyed the pictures! :)

·
Registered
3,558 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for the photos! They are beautiful dogs!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
vicky2200 says:
She doesn't look quite as golden as some of those, but here is my Ditto. Glad to see these because so many people try telling me she isnt a GSD because of her color. BTW Maggie is beutiful!
Click this bar to view the full image.
yep it's true. no one believes that they're GSD. but they are. people need to read the old books of GSD and they will see golden GSD there and that they are purebred.
in some european contries they exist, here in Portugal, England, etc.
oh by the wat if you don't know either it also exists grey GSD. I can post pics too.

by the way Ditto is also beautiful. :)
does she have white dogs in her blood line. cause the lack od the masc sometimes results from that.
also in the cross between golden or recessive black/tans with sables.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I mentioned this on another thread, but Ditto appears to be a very light sable with bright points :) Also either lacking the mask and mantle, or possibly reverse mask? But those genetics exceed my knowledge.

There is so much variation in the GSD. These are some great reference sites:
4GSD - Coat Colours
GSD Patterns, Colors, Coat Lengths & More
Illustrated Standard of the German Shepherd Dog, COLOR & PIGMENT
Im not really sure. Theres really no black on her back, except one or two hairs. The shes pretty much light golden and white, with black in her tail and a very small amount by her ears, which appears to be disappearing. I have noticed however that on her face she has a white shaped heart, and I think its adorable. In the pictures its almost impossible to see.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Sables can be as light as to have nearly no black markings. Many of the dogs pictured by the OP appear to be sable, for example. And genetically the genes that control markings on the face are completely different than those that control the black on the body. Thats how you get the black mask but with no saddle (which can be caused by either sable or blk/tan lacking the saddle) or a saddle with no black mask. And then there is the mantle, which is the marking that covers the forehead.

There is also the reverse mask, like a husky

Aaaannnddd theres always the genetically white GSD, which can come in varying shades of cream

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh by the wat if you don't know either it also exists grey (blue) GSD. I can post pics too.
this color results in the cross between black and Sable color. and in some contries they use the white GSD with the black ones to get to the grey (blue) color. but as you may know here in europe the white GSD are not considerate GSD since the world war II. now they're swiss shepherds.
so here the white GSD can't be registered as GSD. they are purebred GSD but in their register (pedigree) they are swiss shepherds.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I remember your dog! She's gorgeous. The coloring looks a lot like my Massie who was a high mix gsd.

We just don't have that color here in the U.S. The closest I've seen is red sable.

My Rafi is the same golden/red color but he is a sable (he's either a pb malinois or a mal x gsd).

·
Registered
330 Posts
I actually didn't know they came that color. I'd seen them mostly gold(tan?) and think they are beautiful. All the colors that shepherds come in are so beautiful!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes the golden shepherds born like the sables ones with the same risk on the back as the sables. as you can see on the pics of Maggy's litter. but while the risk on the sables one grows, the one on the gold ones fades away.
about the mask: as to do with the colors that are used on the cross dogs.
for ex: if you want a gold one with a full black mask you cant cross sable with golden or a recessive black/tan with gold genes. cause the sable color makes the mask go away.
same with the white color.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
oh by the wat if you don't know either it also exists grey (blue) GSD. I can post pics too.
this color results in the cross between black and Sable color. and in some contries they use the white GSD with the black ones to get to the grey (blue) color. but as you may know here in europe the white GSD are not considerate GSD since the world war II. now they're swiss shepherds.
so here the white GSD can't be registered as GSD. they are purebred GSD but in their register (pedigree) they are swiss shepherds.
Sable is a marking actually, not a color. Its a banding of the hairs where they are only black at the tip. parting the hair in a sable shows the light undercolor. Then to be even more confusing, you can have sable all over or you can have sable in saddle markings.

Blue is actually a result of a dilution on the black causing black markings and leather to appear blue. There is also the liver dilution, causing black markings and leather to appear a chocolately brown. Pictures can be seen of both dilutions on the sites I mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BowWowMeow said:
I remember your dog! She's gorgeous. The coloring looks a lot like my Massie who was a high mix gsd.

We just don't have that color here in the U.S. The closest I've seen is red sable.

My Rafi is the same golden/red color but he is a sable (he's either a pb malinois or a mal x gsd).
wha you have is what we call golden (red) GSD. when they born they are like the sable ones, that's why they are registered as sable ones cause a long time ago here in europe the golden (red) ones where forbiden to bred cause they're considered dangerous/agressive dogs.
so the gold(red) color was almost extint for a while it still is. and I get why, just the people that know them or have them know how they are. for example my Maggy and her brothers/sisters can't be alone with strangers etc. they only trust in family members who live with them everyday.
and when it comes to guard work they are the best and the fisrt ones to learn how to bite. Maggy's litter bite like adult dogs (really well) since they where 4 months old.

·
Registered
852 Posts
does she have white dogs in her blood line. cause the lack od the masc sometimes results from that.
also in the cross between golden or recessive black/tans with sables.
Her mother was all white and her father was mostly black, with red legs.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Oh, and white is caused by a masking gene that covers up what the genetic coloring/markings would be. White has no relation to if a dog will have a black mask or not, as the white shepherd gene covers up ALL markings with a white dog. The genes that control the mask and mantle (mask referring to the black muzzle, not to be confused with the term "masking") are completely separate.

There are a lot of possible causes as to why whites were no longer allowed. The one that always made the most sense to me was because white markings on an otherwise blk/tan dog is a fault, and breeders didn't understand the different genes (white toes and chest is a completely different gene from the white masking gene that causes an all white dog) and felt using these white dogs in their breeding programs would result in more incidence of white markings and greater white.

Then to really throw something funky in there, is the panda GSD

Phenom Shepherds - Genetic Panda Info

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol at the panda GSD. nice one. :)

here is the grey (blue) GSD ( the breeder get to this color only using black GSD's and sable GSD's

he's 8 or 9 years old on this pics.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts