German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new here. My husband and I are looking to add a GSD to our home in the future. We're looking to add a male GSD in 2022-ish.

We currently have a 5 month old female golden retriever named Moxie. She's very energetic and loving. She's also a bit of a rascal. Also why we'd want a male - to reduce the chances of same sex aggression.

We're a very active family. We enjoy hiking on the weekends and it is our intent to take our dog(s) hiking/camping with us when they're old enough to handle to exercise.

We both love the GSD breed and, while neither of us has ever owned one before, feel it would be a good fit in our family. We've both known friends who own them and I have experience with them at work (law enforcement).

So... I digress. The question.

I would appreciate it if you all could direct me to some good breeders in Michigan/surrounding states.

Ideally we'd want one with all the health testing
Titling in the parents would be ideal but is not a necessity
We would love a breeder who keeps in touch with buyers and answers questions
We want one who has been involved with the breed for a while and has an established program
We prefer a standard coat as opposed to the long-haired variety.

My husband has a preference for pure black coloring (my department has two pure black dogs on their bomb squad) but color isn't to be taken into account until the very end and all other things being equal.... We don't want a breeder who breeds for color because that tends to take away from the health of the animal and health/temperament is the most important to us. We want a quality, healthy male GSD who will fit in well with our family.

Excited to begin my research into breeders :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am in the eastern suburbs of Detroit if you would like to see my 6 month old Stonehill puppy. Many of the dogs bred at Stonehill are registered therapy dogs. The owner has been breeding for her entire life (50-60 years?) and so was her father before her, and now her daughter will be taking over at some point. Boarding, training, social dog get togethers, and more from them in Mount Morris. A very wide variety of dogs are available from her (size, color, personality). I think their website is Home or google them if you are interested. I looked around, but was attracted to her dogs. I was interested in a larger dog and she tends to have some dogs that are bigger. My boy turns six months this week and is 78 pounds. He is very skinny from my perspective. Lean and fast as a ghost. Getting more confident all the time which is greatly improving his barking at strangers. He is a total pussycat. Very sweet and sensitive, but he wants attention and you are going to give it to him one way or another. :) Good luck in your search

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
At one time, back in the day, I had a spreasheet of 50 gsd breeders in Mi. You must decide how much drive your looking for, as a working dog can easily become too much dog if not worked enough. Even layed back couch potato types can easily get into trouble when bored if left to make their own decisions. Once you know what you are looking for, relay this to your short list potential breeders so neither of you waste much time. I'm on my 2nd from Hanabrit, so obviously biased. But it's a big state, and there are many reputable breeders. Do your homework, learn the warning flags so when you choose, you are comfortable. Best of luck, as with any living thing, a bit of luck is always a good thing!

·
Registered
42 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts