German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have a very very unfriendly German shepherd rescue, specially of the Vet. Last month I saw the tip of his tail had a cut or something and there is a lot of hair missing and it the blood was splashing all over the house because he keeps wagging his tail. I wrapped it up but it has not gotten better and it keeps opening up. He is also missing more and more hair from his tail. I attached photos let me know what your thoughts and what you think it could be from and how I can fix it. Im not sure how this happened.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
Get to the vet before he looses part of his tail!
Get a tranquilizer from the vets office to give to the dog about an hour (ask them timing) before you go so that they can treat his tail.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Get to the vet before he looses part of his tail!
Get a tranquilizer from the vets office to give to the dog about an hour (ask them timing) before you go so that they can treat his tail.
I’m with him. That doesn’t look good at all!

·
Registered
923 Posts
You should consider muzzling him when going to the vet. And judging by the picture, your dog needs to get treated by the vet ASAP

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have 2 large dogs and they both split their tails open occasionally by hitting it on something. And I don't realize it until I come into the room and there's a hip-high line of blood circling the room and any furniture, appliance, or wall in it's path.
My dog's tails have never gotten infected but it does need to be wrapped up or they will keep hitting it. My husband uses certain bandaids depending the length of the wound. The injury still needs to get air. Also, we have been known to use maxi pads and tampon applicators to help with wrapping it also. The pads give it cushion to absorb any hitting of the tail while it heals. The tampon applicator is great when it's really only the tip and it needs air yet protection from re-injury.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have 2 large dogs and they both split their tails open occasionally by hitting it on something. And I don't realize it until I come into the room and there's a hip-high line of blood circling the room and any furniture, appliance, or wall in it's path.
My dog's tails have never gotten infected but it does need to be wrapped up or they will keep hitting it. My husband uses certain bandaids depending the length of the wound. The injury still needs to get air. Also, we have been known to use maxi pads and tampon applicators to help with wrapping it also. The pads give it cushion to absorb any hitting of the tail while it heals. The tampon applicator is great when it's really only the tip and it needs air yet protection from re-injury.
Have you talked to the vet yet? Hope he doesn't lose his tail! That would be terrible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you talked to the vet yet? Hope he doesn't lose his tail! That would be terrible.
Of course. We would never not get the vet involved regarding an open wound. Fact is, it happens. The tails have closed up and opened again by smacking it against something when excited. It happens once every couple of YEARS, not days or months. You are very fortunate it hasn't happened to you. The bandages or methods use to wrap it need to be changed out like on any human. That's why I mentioned my husband does it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Of course. We would never not get the vet involved regarding an open wound. Fact is, it happens. The tails have closed up and opened again by smacking it against something when excited. It happens once every couple of YEARS, not days or months. You are very fortunate it hasn't happened to you. The bandages or methods use to wrap it need to be changed out like on any human. That's why I mentioned my husband does it.
I mixed you up with the original poster. Sorry about that!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you for the help and recs. I talked to a Vet and they said I need to cut about 2 inches off his tail and that's the only way to fix it or else it will keep reopening. Do you agree with that? They also want to charge me $1500

·
Registered
99 Posts
Jake's leg was wrapped with a pressure bandage and it stayed on following reconstructive surgery to correct a genetic defect. You do have to be careful about the area filling with blood because it can't drain. If it was me, I'd find a vet quickly. That must hurt like ..... Look at it as the savings on the cleaning bill.
This photo is Jake with his leg bandaged and it shows how to wrap the leg, which looks similar to a tail.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
thank you for the help and recs. I talked to a Vet and they said I need to cut about 2 inches off his tail and that's the only way to fix it or else it will keep reopening. Do you agree with that? They also want to charge me $1500
Sorry but I would quickly get a 2nd opinion from another vet on that. We have never needed to remove any amount of our dog’s tails. The injuries have always healed like any superficial injury. I am sorry your vet recommended that. That has not been our experience. We live in FL and our backyard is substantial but our house is narrow. We find our dog’s tails hit (more like WHACK) a lot of our walls with hallways being thin.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'll also second others' opinion to get an opinion from a different vet asap. When you're in doubt about a vet, always get a 2nd opinion. Better safe than sorry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts