German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: This story just sounds strange to me...... Why is the dog on board a major commerical airlines and not a service dog:eek:? I wonder why the dog bite her if he didn't feel some sort of treat by her...... I do not mean that the lady deserved it by no means at all. Just would like to hear the story from the owner and the airlines as well. Maybe its just me but this story seems fishy! Please read the attached story.

http://www.fox41.com/Global/story.asp?S=13405512

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Part of the article:
"The German shepherd was improperly allowed to board the flight," the suit states. "The German shepherd was not a service animal for mobility, hearing or visual disability. The German shepherd was not in an animal carrier and was not stowed under the seat."

:laugh:
I'm sorry I know this is serious but I'm trying to figure out how you store a German Shepherd under the seat in an airplane.

·
Registered
24 Posts
^ make him lay down and slide him backward under the seat? maybe they shouldve put the dog in the overhead storage compartment

·
Registered
428 Posts
Buy the dog a ticket. Make sure he's buckled in and his tray is in the upright position for take off and landing.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Part of the article:
"The German shepherd was improperly allowed to board the flight," the suit states. "The German shepherd was not a service animal for mobility, hearing or visual disability. The German shepherd was not in an animal carrier and was not stowed under the seat."

I'm sorry I know this is serious but I'm trying to figure out how you store a German Shepherd under the seat in an airplane.
:spittingcoffee:
I seriously thought you just added that in. Nope.

Aren't you not allowed to ask if the dog is a service dog? So wouldn't the airport not be liable?

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
This story is just so bizarre. I read a couple of articles on it, and one said that she was suing the airport and several airlines. I'm not sure why she's suing more than one airline if this happened while on a flight with one airline? How are the other airline(s) she is suing responsible?

One article said -

The German shepherd was not a service animal for mobility, hearing or visual disability.
Okay ... it could have still been a service dog, even if it's not a service dog for mobility, hearing, or visual disability. Still possible. Of course, it's also possible that this is someone's pet that they brought aboard after telling someone it's a Service Dog - we all know that happens.

Oh ... just found the full text. She is suing Atlantic Southeast Airlines, Delta Airlines, Skywest Airlines, and the Lousiville Airport Authority. Full lawsuit is online, here - http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wdrb/news/dogsonaplane.pdf

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Aren't you not allowed to ask if the dog is a service dog?
Incorrect. You are allowed to ask if the dog is a Service Dog, and you are also allowed to ask if the person with the dog is disabled. (Service Dogs with trainers or non-disabled handlers don't have the same access rights in many states.) You are NOT allowed to ask what the person's disability is, though I believe you may ask what types of tasks the dog is trained to do. You also are not supposed ask for certification paperwork or Service Dog ID cards or a doctor's note stating that the dog is a Service Dog - none of those are required by law.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Part of the article:

Very carefully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I was spending a lot of time at the FlyerTalk forums when I was preparing to fly to Europe to pick up my puppy. These guys on this forum are super frequent flyers.

One guy said he saw a woman put an orange service dog vest on her large dog just before checking in at the counter. She winked at him as he watched. She clearly just wanted the dog to fly in the cabin. I suspect she's not the only one using this trick.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
My favorite part is
On or about November 20, 2009 Defendants' premises were in an unreasonably dangerous and unsafe condition, which unsafe condition was known or should have been known to the Defendants.
If you expected the airplane to know the dog was going to bite you in the face, how come you didn't figure it out?

I'm getting so tired of people expecting others to think for them all day long and when someone fails to, they sue.

Did she once ask to be moved away from the dog? She saw it was a dog and was not safely stowed under the seat :)rofl:) but sat there anyway. No one forced her, just like no one forced her to board an airplane that could potentially fall out of the sky. Isn't that also an "unreasonably dangerous and unsafe condition, which unsafe condition was known or should have been known to the Defendants."?

I hope a judge one day tells someone "It's a dog. You sat next to it. It bit you. In the future, govern yourself accordingly."

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I agree with you Jax's mom!!!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
One guy said he saw a woman put an orange service dog vest on her large dog just before checking in at the counter. She winked at him as he watched. She clearly just wanted the dog to fly in the cabin. I suspect she's not the only one using this trick.
I don't know whether you've ever heard of or seen the show "Showdog Moms and Dads", but there is an episode where Kyra Sundance and her Weimaraner, Chalcy, fly out-of-state to perform on stage. In the airport, Chalcy is wearing a red vest labeled "Companion Dog" and Kyra talks about how Chalcy is flying as "a celebrity pet" and gets her own seat, then they show the dog sitting on pillows in a seat on the plane, wearing the vest.

When you've got examples like this set by people, it's no wonder if Joe Public thinks they can put a vest on their dog and claim it as a Service Dog.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
This case is being taken seriously. No one flying on a plane should be in fear of being attacked by any dog. It should not be up to the passenger to scope out and verify that any animal on board is safe to ride near.

Service Dogs and ESA's are allowed to fly in the cabin on the floor. Airlines are under different regulations and not under the Dept. of Justice. Employees are allowed to ask questions not allowed by business owners/employees and if in doubt may ask for documentation. Inside of a plane is not Public Access covered by Title II or Title III.

Different airlines have different regs for pets - some allow one pet per flight some two but they must be in a secure carry-on and not taken out. The carry-on must be able to fit under the seat. The carry-on is way too small for any but the youngest GSD puppy.

Yes, many people abuse the system and go complete with vests purchased via the Internet along with those ID cards that are so popular with the "Faker" crowd. Some of the worst offenders are many of the show dog handlers who laugh about it with quips such as "It would make me sick thinking of my baby flying in the hold".

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I've had to endure long flights with yipping ankle biters under their owners seat in a crate- i wanted to bite them,lol I thought the rule was a non service dog could fly under the seat secured as a carry on, but in a crate as long as they fit. Dogs larger than this must fly under the plane in the cargo area again secured in a crate. Therapy and service dogs can fly in the cabin with the owner, but I thought documentation was needed to verify the dog was in fact a service or therapy dog. I guess I am wrong,lol I could see wanting to sue the airline and/or owner if there were actual damages but no more than the cost of care and loss of income if work was missed.

Very strange story nonetheless but the airline and owner ultimately were at fault. I wouldn't assume a large dog was going to bite me either honestly:)

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
but I thought documentation was needed to verify the dog was in fact a service or therapy dog.
The regs for Service Dogs on a flight are under The Air Carrier Access Act. Most of the airport buildings are under the ADA. So while waiting for your flight and going into a restaurant at the airport between flights you are covered under one set of laws and federal agency while once you board a U.S. flight you are covered under another set of laws and federal agency.

Cut & Paste from the ACAA ...
§ 382.37 Seat assignments.
(c) If a service animal cannot be accommodated at the seat location of the qualified individual with a disability whom the animal is accompanying (see § 382.55(a)(2)), the carrier shall offer the passenger the opportunity to move with the animal to a seat location, if present on the aircraft, where the animal can be accommodated, as an alternative to requiring that the animal travel with checked baggage.
§ 382.38 Seating accommodations.
(3) For an individual traveling with a service animal, the carrier shall provide, as the individual requests, either a bulkhead seat or a seat other than a bulkhead seat.
§ 382.55 Miscellaneous provisions.
(a) Carriers shall permit dogs and other service animals used by persons with a disability to accompany the persons on a flight.
(1) Carriers shall accept as evidence that an animal is a service animal identification cards, other written documentation, presence of harnesses or markings on harnesses, tags, or the credible verbal assurances of the qualified individual with a disability using the animal.

The key here is credible verbal assurances so when flying the handler can be asked to show documentation. So if someone acts confident and knows how to answer any questions and also has what looks to be creditable ID then they can get through. An example to this would again be those (not all of course but enough to harm reputable SDs) show handlers who think that Champion Bo Bo is special and above the law.

Often when someone flys with a large SD there are people willing to share their foot space with the dog. I have friends who on boarding a plane have had people offer to let them sit next to them and are willing to scrunch up themselves to allow the dog to be more comfortable. Perhaps this woman was one of those kind-hearted people willing to sit next to a SD team.

Lawsuite:
Plaintiff was severely and permanently injuried
http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wdrb/news/dogsonaplane.pdf

1 - 20 of 184 Posts